Creating Comcast Personal Website with VS2005

Paul Lennon

Hi,

I hope I have selected the right group for this question, I am looking
for assistance with using VS2005 to create a simple website on my ISP.

Using VS2005 I have created a Website project using the file system. I
am not trying to do any server side programming, for now simple HTML is
sufficient. My site seems to be working fine locally and now I want to
publish it to my Comcast directory. Comcast claims that they support
FrontPage Server Extensions and I have configured my web account to use
them. I then attempt to publish my site using the HTTP dialogs and
specify the https URL to my personal site directory. Publishing
generates the output below.

Can someone tell me whether the errors are due to something I failed to
install or an incompatibility between Comcast and VS2005?

Thanks,

Paul

PS. I do not believe that Comcast is using IIS. I think they are using
Apache with FrontPage Server Extensions for UNIX.

------ Build started: Project: G:\Home\Comcast Website2\, Configuration:
Debug .NET ------
Pre-compiling Web Site

Building directory '/Comcast Website2/'.
Pre-compilation Complete
------ Publish started: Project: G:\Home\Comcast Website2\,
Configuration: Debug .NET ------
Unable to create the Web 'https://home.comcast.net/~pslennon'. The
components for communicating with the FrontPage server extensions are
not installed.
Error: Unable to create the Web 'https://home.comcast.net/~pslennon'.
The components for communicating with the FrontPage server extensions
are not installed.

========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Paul Lennon

Thank you all for your help.

I solved the problem this afternoon by downloading 2 files from MSDN.
I'm not sure which solved the problem, but after they were installed
VS2005 successfully connected to my ISP and created the website using
ftp. The two files were:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 - Update to Support Web Application
Projects (VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe)

Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects (WebApplicationProjectSetup.msi)

Paul