    TIA,

    Steve.

    , Jul 9, 2005

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    On 9 Jul 2005 02:19:49 -0700, wrote or quoted :

    >Hi - Any help or pointer on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm
    >working on something similar to blogger.com. Users sign up and they get
    >their own webpage, with a domain name of 'username.blogger.com'.
    >
    >Since blogger.com is doing it on the fly (as you sign up), I'm sure
    >they are doing it programmatically. Anyone has any clue on how they do
    >that?

    The way DNS works, you can say to the world, come to me for all names
    ending in .dyndns.org when you need to look up a name. You put a
    fairly short expiry date on them, so that people will come back to you
    rather than using the cache.

    An any case whenever a name ending in .yourname.org can't be found,
    the request will propagate back to you to make sense of the prefix and
    covert to an IP.

    There are a number of companies doing it.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/dyndns.html

    and follow the links to similar services.

    I suspect what they is build their own custom front end to tell an off
    the shelf nameserver about the newly created names or which ones are
    now recalled.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/dns.html

    It contains a link to a book that will explain the software used to do
    this.

    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Paul Tomblin Guest

    In a previous article, lid said:
    >On 9 Jul 2005 02:19:49 -0700, wrote or quoted :
    >>Hi - Any help or pointer on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm
    >>working on something similar to blogger.com. Users sign up and they get
    >>their own webpage, with a domain name of 'username.blogger.com'.

    >The way DNS works, you can say to the world, come to me for all names
    >ending in .dyndns.org when you need to look up a name. You put a
    >fairly short expiry date on them, so that people will come back to you
    >rather than using the cache.

    Another way of doing this would be to have a "wildcard" dns entry, so that
    <anything>.xcski.com points to your server, and then use Apache's virtual
    domain system (or do it programatically) to serve up the appropriate pages
    for any known value of <anything>.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
    This is your Air Force: http://www.af.mil/ This is your Air Force on drugs:

    Paul Tomblin, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Chris Smith Guest

    Paul Tomblin <> wrote:
    > Another way of doing this would be to have a "wildcard" dns entry, so that
    > <anything>.xcski.com points to your server, and then use Apache's virtual
    > domain system (or do it programatically) to serve up the appropriate pages
    > for any known value of <anything>.

    Indeed, probably the only rational way of going since IP addresses
    aren't exactly cheap, and the idea seems to be that lots of people can
    sign up quickly. If this is a servlet application, you're unlikely to
    want what Apache offers (that is, treating different names like
    completely different sites), and instead you'll want the same code to
    run, but just with some attribute set to let you know what user's URL
    this is. A ServletFilter is perfect.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation