Creating 'vanity' domain names on the fly

steve.anon

Hi - Any help or pointer on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm
working on something similar to blogger.com. Users sign up and they get
their own webpage, with a domain name of 'username.blogger.com'.

Since blogger.com is doing it on the fly (as you sign up), I'm sure
they are doing it programmatically. Anyone has any clue on how they do
that?

Cheers,

Steve.

Jeff Cochran

Hi - Any help or pointer on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm
working on something similar to blogger.com. Users sign up and they get
their own webpage, with a domain name of 'username.blogger.com'.

Since blogger.com is doing it on the fly (as you sign up), I'm sure
they are doing it programmatically. Anyone has any clue on how they do
that?

Ask in a DNS group related to the DNS you use. It's actually quite
simple and there are several methods to create DNS entries
programatically. There are also many ways to handle the web page,
from creating a new site, to parsing the header used when anything at
blogger.com is requested. Much of that depends on the server version,
capacity, your specific goals and so on.

Jeff