Critique?

Barbara de Zoete

Is there any chance you could give me a critique of this web page? Only the
feel and layout, not bothered about the coding yet.

Go see how people responded to this same requested by you today in both
alt.html.critique and an other post in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.

Hywel Jenkins

miketerry73 said:
Hi all,

Is there any chance you could give me a critique of this web page? Only the
feel and layout, not bothered about the coding yet.

http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/richmedia/index6.html

What you like/dislike or what can be added? It's just the homepage at the
moment.

Looks nice, but your use of English is iffy.

"richmedia are a professional" should be "richmedia is a professional".
This mistake is repeated throughout the copy.

Jan Faerber

Mike Terry loudly proclaimed:
Hi all,

Is there any chance you could give me a critique of this web page? Only
the feel and layout, not bothered about the coding yet.

With mozilla there is no red and there are no pics.
http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/richmedia/index6.html

What you like/dislike or what can be added? It's just the homepage at the
moment.

I don't like the big cursor in the middle, on the first visit the whole page
looks nice but the colored background images of IE and firefox are firstly
too large for those small icons and it is not a wall paper. The three pics
that change sometimes are not saying anything. Anonymous images from MS
Word Clip Art Galleries. And they are too small compared to the background
in the middle.
To show text in a graphical image is fine but you can not find it with
google.
All in all fantastic but where is the toilett please? I mean ... try to
interact with the customer with a small form.

Blinky the Shark

Looks nice, but your use of English is iffy.
"richmedia are a professional" should be "richmedia is a professional".
This mistake is repeated throughout the copy.

I think that's A Pondian Difference. Rightpondians seem to use the
plural even when referring to a singular entity, if the entity is
comprised of countable things: "Parlaiment are", "the government are",
etc.

Mike Terry

Changes made. Like with Blinky's post, I wasn't sure which was appropriate!

Rich

Oli Filth

Jan said:
Mike Terry loudly proclaimed:

With mozilla there is no red and there are no pics.

Just had a look at both, IMHO it looks better with the white background
than the red.

Mike Terry

Hi Jan - thanks for your suggestions.
With mozilla there is no red and there are no pics.

I've sorted out the background. Given it a bit of definition.
I don't like the big cursor in the middle, on the first visit the whole page
looks nice but the colored background images of IE and firefox are firstly
too large for those small icons and it is not a wall paper. The three pics
that change sometimes are not saying anything.

The three pics I'm not exactly sure what to do with. Might make them
screenshots of other sites. Or snapshots of Bournemouth which is where I'm
based. I've moved the background pic slighly, bur reluctant to scrap it as I
don't have a decent alternative.
To show text in a graphical image is fine but you can not find it with
google.

Added some Alt tags, but the design isn't complete so not on the menu yet
(which is just one image at the moment).
All in all fantastic but where is the toilett please? I mean ... try to
interact with the customer with a small form.

There'll be a form on the contact page.

http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/richmedia/

Rich

Mike Terry

I struggle to make wide designs. Any suggestions for what I could do with
this one?

Rich

Travis Newbury

Mike said:
Is there any chance you could give me a critique of this web page? Only the
feel and layout, not bothered about the coding yet.
http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/richmedia/index6.html

Its ok, but I would probably use flash at the top and let it fall back
to Javascript if they don't have flash. Of course if they don't have
javascript turned on they lose quite a bit, consider yourself warned...

I like the simple logo a lot but I don't like the no caps. I see that
as "trying" too hard. It just doesn't do it for me. You had better
blow me away with your portfolio. I am not impressed yet. This is not
to say it is bad. I mean it looks ok. But nothing makes it stand out
from the crowd. It just doesn't do it for me.

Toby Inkster

Mike said:
Is there any chance you could give me a critique of this web page? Only the
feel and layout, not bothered about the coding yet.

Missing alt text.

Ed

Mike said:
Hi all,

Is there any chance you could give me a critique of this web page? Only the
feel and layout, not bothered about the coding yet.

http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/richmedia/index6.html

What you like/dislike or what can be added? It's just the homepage at the
moment.

Thanks,

Richard

I have looked at this in both Firefox and IE.

To me, it is a good clean, clear, uncluttered homepage. But I do prefer
the red background that is displayed in IE (but not in Firefox) as it
seems to give the page a bit more punch.

The page seems to be thin in content. So much so, that you repeat what
richmedia is about. I don't think it is necessary to say it twice.
Just one clear statement is all that is needed.

Also, I feel that the images add nothing at all. They just appear to be
filling space and do nothing really in terms of telling me what
richmedia is about. If they were omitted totally, I would suffer no
loss in understanding what the site is about.

In Firefox, with the white background, I don't see the copyright at the
bottom of the page. But you know why that is, I'm sure.

In IE, when I click on the images in the top right, a dotted frame
appears before it takes me to the next page. When I return, the dotted
frame is still there and makes the page a bit untidy looking.

Just some initial comments. Hope they are constructive as basically the
site has a good look/feel about it.

Ed

Mike Terry

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your comments.

Outlook says that message was sent today. I added a hatched background last
night, and it works on Firefox for me. Can you still not see it?

I'm unsure what to do with the images. May make them snapshots of
Bournemouth (where I'm based, and I'm only looking to attract local
businesses).

You're also right about the text. I'll get onto that tonight.

Cheers - your advice is very much appreciated,

Richard