CS1595 - defined in Multiple places; using definition

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jhe, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. jhe

    jhe Guest

    I have a user control HeaderControl which was shared by
    multiple Asp.Net Pages (.aspx), sometimes when I make some
    changes to our website and restart iis, it will have the
    CS1595 error, but when I change something (for example,
    add a space) in the HeaderControl.ascx, it will work
    correctly. Here is the specific error message:

    ==============
    Compilation Error
    resource required to service this request. Please review
    the following specific error details and modify your
    source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: CS1595: '_ASP.HeaderControl_ascx'
    is defined in multiple places; using definition
    from 'C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files\root\40a482a3\35b5c2ce\9tawcop3.dll'
    =====================

    Thank you in advance

    Jhe

    jhe, Jan 15, 2004

  2. jhe

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    The reason for this is you have the assembly in a couple places. If these
    two assemblies were built by the same program and in those two places, the
    framework cannot determine which one to use because they are both valid and
    usable and so it throws the error.

    I've had that happen if i have an assembly A being used by assembly B and
    Assembly C had its own copy of assembly A. In that case, there were two
    valid copies of assembly A floating around. I'm not even sure that this
    scenario should result in an error either according to the docs.

    As a first start, you can delete all these assemblies every where you find
    them on your hard drive, flush iis temporary files, then rebuild that
    particular assembly. You should now have only one copy of this assembly. I'm
    sure there are other permutations of this problem as well. This is just a
    fix that i happened upon. See if it works for you.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney, Jan 15, 2004

  3. jhe

    frank p Guest

    Is this flushing and deleting a done by something in IIS, a .NET tool
    like gacutil or just hunting and deleting with Explorer?

    Frank

    frank p, Feb 9, 2004