CSS font sizes - what's best to use?

dorayme

K A Nuttall said:
Oh god, I need to lie down. Unfortunately, that thread is a bit like
this one: full of conflicting opinions, thinly veiled insults,
dogmatism, and very little hard fact - and eleven pages of it, in
Google Groups.

I've adopted this 100% idea, for a test period. Some sources say to use
it on <html>, some say <body>, and nowhere can I find an in-depth
analysis of its effects on different browsers, compared to the use of
size names, other than using it to counteract the effects of the IE em
bug. I'll have to find time to experiment with this.

Welcome to newsgroups. Look, the truth is likely to be that there
are so many browsers, so many platforms, so many variables that
there is no bible on the matter. If you have someone with good
sense - eg. the resident ascetic, old B - saying to set the body
to 100%, just do it. In addition, you have an argument, namely it
avoids a bug in IE. There are other arguments. You need to think
through them and simply adopt a policy.

K A Nuttall

dorayme said:
Welcome to newsgroups.

Been doing usenet for 12 years, but thanks anyway :)
This group's new to me though. I've lurked here for maybe a couple of
months. I changed career to web developer last year, and eventually
thought I ought to hang out in 'places of wisdom'.
Look, the truth is likely to be that there
are so many browsers, so many platforms, so many variables that
there is no bible on the matter. If you have someone with good
sense - eg. the resident ascetic, old B - saying to set the body
to 100%, just do it.

The thing is, I don't work that way. I like to see a
problem/discussion/solution/explanation on a given subject that
satisfies my question. And I usually find good stuff on most bugs I
come across, eventually.

It's not that I don't believe old B (who's that then?), I just like to
see a rationale for a technique before I'm satisfied. I've always been
like that. I couldn't just learn formulae at school, I had to
understand them.
In addition, you have an argument, namely it
avoids a bug in IE.

Well, that's good enough in itself, except I don't think I've ever had
the problem it solves (never set body in ems).
There are other arguments. You need to think
through them and simply adopt a policy.

That's what I'm doing, next time I spend an evening with my web stuff.
I might report back with my findings, if people promise not to maul me.

dorayme

K A Nuttall said:
Been doing usenet for 12 years, but thanks anyway :)

Fair enough. I sort of meant, not so much to imply inexperience
on your part, but to lower your expectations of the capabilities
of usenet to summarise things.
This group's new to me though. I've lurked here for maybe a couple of
months. I changed career to web developer last year, and eventually
thought I ought to hang out in 'places of wisdom'.

Hang around, you will learn lots.
The thing is, I don't work that way. I like to see a
problem/discussion/solution/explanation on a given subject that
satisfies my question. And I usually find good stuff on most bugs I
come across, eventually.

It's not that I don't believe old B (who's that then?), I just like to
see a rationale for a technique before I'm satisfied. I've always been
like that. I couldn't just learn formulae at school, I had to
understand them.
Crikey, you sound like a young dorayme, I was independently
minded and took nothing on trust at first and now I am reborn,
see the light, and follow everything said blindly. My shrink says
that while I am now cured of the pathological stubbornness of my
youth, the sessions will have to continue, unfortunately, because
I have swung too far the other way. (At the prices she charges, I
can certainly understand why she thinks this).
Well, that's good enough in itself, except I don't think I've ever had
the problem it solves (never set body in ems).

Fair enough.
That's what I'm doing, next time I spend an evening with my web stuff.
I might report back with my findings, if people promise not to maul me.

Don't worry about the mauling, think of it as material for
entertainment. Ignore it even. There was a fellow here who used
to have a fantastic technique at handling maulings: he would tell
the maulers to have a nice day and that freedom was a wonderful
thing and stuff like that. I miss him.

David Smithz

It's the OP here.

Phew, what can I say. I've been away looking forward to coming back and
continuing the project.

Thansk for ALL the input. However, what I am supposed to be doing again?

So was there an overal recommneded method for me to implement my font sizes?

My aim:
I want to cater for as many websites people as possible.
I want the design to look how it has been desiged in photo shop and printed
as a pdf
I want users the abilty to enlarge the fonts if they really need to.

In summary what is the most authorative oponion out there on how to approach
this?

Perhaps there isn't, but after getting a bit confused I'm currenlty back to
using pixels.

dorayme

"David Smithz said:
It's the OP here.

Phew, what can I say. I've been away looking forward to coming back and
continuing the project.

Thansk for ALL the input. However, what I am supposed to be doing again?

So was there an overal recommneded method for me to implement my font sizes?

My aim:
I want to cater for as many websites people as possible.
I want the design to look how it has been desiged in photo shop and printed
as a pdf
I want users the abilty to enlarge the fonts if they really need to.

In summary what is the most authorative oponion out there on how to approach
this?

Perhaps there isn't, but after getting a bit confused I'm currenlty back to
using pixels.

You are kidding or else trying to be provocative now! After all
that has been said!

Leonard Blaisdell

dorayme said:
You are kidding or else trying to be provocative now! After all
that has been said!

I didn't read the thread. I believe I know what was said by the majority
of authoritative posters in the thread. So I'm going to suggest <wink>
that he use pixels. That sounds perfect for him, unless he wants to
determine who is authoritative. My eyes are winking themselves out of
their sockets. Pixelz rulez Mrz. Smithz.

leo

Bergamot

David said:
I want users the abilty to enlarge the fonts if they really need to.

If you set normal paragraph font-size:100% the likelihood that the user
will *need* to enlarge the size is slim to none.