CSS: invisible submit button, blasted IE

itsastickup

Hello folks,

I'm not too hot on CSS, being a backend dev. I'm having to deal with
some
frontend code and I'm stuck on this one. A submit button is invisible
in IE,
while yet visible in firefox, opera and safari.

The html is simple, so presumably the problem is with the CSS.

I've dumped the styles for the button so while the actual coded CSS
isn't as
verbose nothng will be missed (hopfully) through some chain of
inheritence I
know little about. I do know the original dev wasn't so experienced.
But I know less
than him.

Here's the pastie :

http://pastie.org/422507

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

dorayme

itsastickup said:
Hello folks,

I'm not too hot on CSS, being a backend dev. I'm having to deal with
some
frontend code and I'm stuck on this one. A submit button is invisible
in IE,
while yet visible in firefox, opera and safari.

The html is simple, so presumably the problem is with the CSS.

I've dumped the styles for the button so while the actual coded CSS
isn't as
verbose nothng will be missed (hopfully) through some chain of
inheritence I
know little about. I do know the original dev wasn't so experienced.
But I know less
than him.

Here's the pastie :

http://pastie.org/422507

Any help would be much appreciated.

What are you trying to achieve?

If you get rid of

#updatebutton {
position: relative;
top: -255px;
left: 340px;
z-index: 2;
}

and

the the many puzzling properties like "border-right-style-value" - where
did you get these from - you will see a button. Give a proper doctype, I
recommend HTML 4.01, get rid of a couple of end slashes and Bob will
start to be your uncle.

itsastickup

tence I
I might be because of position:relative;
Ie can be finnicky about that.

Seems like you are right but tricks with IE from some website I found
didn't work.

itsastickup

What are you trying to achieve?

If you get rid of

#updatebutton {
       position: relative;
            top: -255px;
            left: 340px;
            z-index: 2;
    }

but then I'm unable to position the object. Is this the reason pros
use tables?
the the many puzzling properties like "border-right-style-value" - where
did you get these from - you will see a button. Give a proper doctype, I
recommend HTML 4.01, get rid of a couple of end slashes and Bob will
start to be your uncle.

End slashes. Really? They cause problems?

I had the right doctype.

In the end I found a bizarre solution from another page that worked
out to be nearly identical but for one difference: a non-breaking
space inserted before the fragment of html I supplied. Like so :

&nbsp;
type="submit" value="update"
xonmouseover="this.style.cursor='pointer';" /></div>

It's a funny old thing. All this web app nonsense is all very well but
it seems to me that traditional delphi or VB dev is a lot quicker and
less prone to absurdity.

itsastickup

the the many puzzling properties like "border-right-style-value" - where
did you get these from - you will see a button. Give a proper doctype, I

Forgot to tell you of that: it;s a firefox plugin that dumped the CSS.

dorayme

itsastickup said:
In the end I found a bizarre solution

Why not share it by posting a url to a webpage (not code or a page
showing code). I can't tell you how much bizarreness is appreciated
around these parts.

Neredbojias

It's a funny old thing. All this web app nonsense is all very well
but it seems to me that traditional delphi or VB dev is a lot quicker
and less prone to absurdity.

There's a lot about (x)html and css as defined by the w3c that I find
absurd, not to mention the browser mistakes which all browsers possess
to some significant degree, but there's nothing better, absolutely
nothing, for making a web page. Markup may be easy to learn, but it
takes time, effort, and experience to become proficient in it.