CSS: invisible submit button, blasted IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by itsastickup, Mar 21, 2009.

  1. itsastickup

    itsastickup Guest

    Hello folks,

    I'm not too hot on CSS, being a backend dev. I'm having to deal with
    some
    frontend code and I'm stuck on this one. A submit button is invisible
    in IE,
    while yet visible in firefox, opera and safari.

    The html is simple, so presumably the problem is with the CSS.

    I've dumped the styles for the button so while the actual coded CSS
    isn't as
    verbose nothng will be missed (hopfully) through some chain of
    inheritence I
    know little about. I do know the original dev wasn't so experienced.
    But I know less
    than him.

    Here's the pastie :

    http://pastie.org/422507

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks
    itsastickup, Mar 21, 2009

  2. itsastickup

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    itsastickup <> wrote:

    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I'm not too hot on CSS, being a backend dev. I'm having to deal with
    > some
    > frontend code and I'm stuck on this one. A submit button is invisible
    > in IE,
    > while yet visible in firefox, opera and safari.
    >
    > The html is simple, so presumably the problem is with the CSS.
    >
    > I've dumped the styles for the button so while the actual coded CSS
    > isn't as
    > verbose nothng will be missed (hopfully) through some chain of
    > inheritence I
    > know little about. I do know the original dev wasn't so experienced.
    > But I know less
    > than him.
    >
    > Here's the pastie :
    >
    > http://pastie.org/422507
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    What are you trying to achieve?

    If you get rid of

    #updatebutton {
    position: relative;
    top: -255px;
    left: 340px;
    z-index: 2;
    }

    and

    the the many puzzling properties like "border-right-style-value" - where
    did you get these from - you will see a button. Give a proper doctype, I
    recommend HTML 4.01, get rid of a couple of end slashes and Bob will
    start to be your uncle.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 21, 2009

  3. itsastickup

    itsastickup Guest

    tence I
    > > know little about. I do know the original dev wasn't so experienced.
    > > But I know less
    > > than him.

    > > Here's the pastie :

    > >http://pastie.org/422507

    > > Any help would be much appreciated.

    > I might be because of position:relative;
    > Ie can be finnicky about that.

    Seems like you are right but tricks with IE from some website I found
    didn't work.
    itsastickup, Mar 21, 2009
  4. itsastickup

    itsastickup Guest

    On 21 Mar, 06:36, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  itsastickup <> wrote:
    > > Hello folks,

    > > I'm not too hot on CSS, being a backend dev. I'm having to deal with
    > > some
    > > frontend code and I'm stuck on this one. A submit button is invisible
    > > in IE,
    > > while yet visible in firefox, opera and safari.

    > > The html is simple, so presumably the problem is with the CSS.

    > > I've dumped the styles for the button so while the actual coded CSS
    > > isn't as
    > > verbose nothng will be missed (hopfully) through some chain of
    > > inheritence I
    > > know little about. I do know the original dev wasn't so experienced.
    > > But I know less
    > > than him.

    > > Here's the pastie :

    > >http://pastie.org/422507

    > > Any help would be much appreciated.

    > What are you trying to achieve?
    >
    > If you get rid of
    >
    > #updatebutton {
    >        position: relative;
    >             top: -255px;
    >             left: 340px;
    >             z-index: 2;
    >     }

    but then I'm unable to position the object. Is this the reason pros
    use tables?

    > the the many puzzling properties like "border-right-style-value" - where
    > did you get these from - you will see a button. Give a proper doctype, I
    > recommend HTML 4.01, get rid of a couple of end slashes and Bob will
    > start to be your uncle.

    End slashes. Really? They cause problems?

    I had the right doctype.

    In the end I found a bizarre solution from another page that worked
    out to be nearly identical but for one difference: a non-breaking
    space inserted before the fragment of html I supplied. Like so :

    &nbsp;
    type="submit" value="update"
    xonmouseover="this.style.cursor='pointer';" /></div>

    It's a funny old thing. All this web app nonsense is all very well but
    it seems to me that traditional delphi or VB dev is a lot quicker and
    less prone to absurdity.
    itsastickup, Mar 21, 2009
  5. itsastickup

    itsastickup Guest

    > the the many puzzling properties like "border-right-style-value" - where
    > did you get these from - you will see a button. Give a proper doctype, I

    Forgot to tell you of that: it;s a firefox plugin that dumped the CSS.
    itsastickup, Mar 21, 2009
  6. itsastickup

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    itsastickup <> wrote:

    > In the end I found a bizarre solution

    Why not share it by posting a url to a webpage (not code or a page
    showing code). I can't tell you how much bizarreness is appreciated
    around these parts.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 21, 2009
  7. itsastickup

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Mar 2009, itsastickup <> wrote:

    > It's a funny old thing. All this web app nonsense is all very well
    > but it seems to me that traditional delphi or VB dev is a lot quicker
    > and less prone to absurdity.

    There's a lot about (x)html and css as defined by the w3c that I find
    absurd, not to mention the browser mistakes which all browsers possess
    to some significant degree, but there's nothing better, absolutely
    nothing, for making a web page. Markup may be easy to learn, but it
    takes time, effort, and experience to become proficient in it.

    --
    Neredbojias
    People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.
    Neredbojias, Mar 22, 2009
  8. itsastickup

    Ari Heino Guest

    itsastickup kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > but then I'm unable to position the object. Is this the reason pros
    > use tables?

    They don't.

    --
    Ari