CSS validator

Jonathan N. Little

I got 11 errors with the 4.01 Transitional, but 28 errors with 3.2
Final. It seems better to put the 4.01 Transitional there for the
moment. Thanks a lot for your help and encouraging comments.

No, use 4.01 Strict. Fix the errors don't down grade the doctype.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
No, use 4.01 Strict. Fix the errors don't down grade the doctype.

It is a question of confidence in progressing for the OP. If you
look at the source, there is a lot on the plate to get right. A
lot of things to ditch. A lot of rethinking. That amount of
rethinking can dampen the spirit. Perhaps I was going too far in
mentioning less than transitional <g>

fuli open

For now, you could put in a line between <head> and </head> that
reads

charset=ISO-8859-1">

or

charset=UTF-8">

I will add either of the above two in the head area. But as there are
Chinese symbols in some of the pages, I also need to place following
meta declaration in the head:

Does this line conflict with either the 8859-1 or UTF-8 line? In
other words, can I put two charsets in the head area?

Thanks a million again for help.
fuli

dorayme

"fuli open said:
I will add either of the above two in the head area. But as there are
Chinese symbols in some of the pages, I also need to place following
meta declaration in the head:

Does this line conflict with either the 8859-1 or UTF-8 line? In
other words, can I put two charsets in the head area?

Thanks a million again for help.
fuli

Don't use /> at the end of your tags for non XHTML doctypes. And
look carefully at the placement of quotation marks in the
examples I gave.

As for more than one charset meta, I doubt it, I would say that
the last one written will be the one that counts. You might need
a single character set of a more inclusive kind. For information
about this, I am afraid you will have to wait till Mr Jukka
Korpela wakes up in Iceland. It is freezing there and he is
asleep and warm and it will be Sunday... he will know, in fact,
he is possibly the only person in the world to really know about
this.

What happens when you just put in one of the ones I suggested?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit fuli open:
I will add either of the above two in the head area.

You should find out which encoding you are actually using and declare that,
instead of trying random magic incantations. When people don't know their
encoding, it's usually windows-1252.
But as there are
Chinese symbols in some of the pages, I also need to place following
meta declaration in the head:

You should only declare the encoding you actually use. If you use <meta>
tags for the purpose, there can only be one such tag per document (page),
though different documents could have different encodings and consequently
different <meta> tags.

Does this line conflict with either the 8859-1 or UTF-8 line?

Of course. You cannot change the encoding within a document.

fuli open

Don't use /> at the end of your tags for non XHTML doctypes. And
look carefully at the placement of quotation marks in the
examples I gave.

As for more than one charset meta, I doubt it, I would say that
the last one written will be the one that counts. You might need
a single character set of a more inclusive kind. For information
about this, I am afraid you will have to wait till Mr Jukka
Korpela wakes up in Iceland. It is freezing there and he is
asleep and warm and it will be Sunday... he will know, in fact,
he is possibly the only person in the world to really know about
this.

What happens when you just put in one of the ones I suggested?

I've put the html 4.01 strict declaration in many pages of the web
site, and run the html validator some of them. For instance, I got 14
errors for www.pinyinology.com, but was not able to see anything wrong
with those errors. For instance:

Error Line 403 column 6: end tag for "BODY" which is not finished.

It says the tag </body> is an error. It does not make sense to me.
The open tag <body> is there. And I have to close it with </body>. I
am still trying to figure out why the tag is an error, and how to
correct it.

I am still learning. Enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

fuli

dorayme

"fuli open said:
I've put the html 4.01 strict declaration in many pages of the web
site, and run the html validator some of them. For instance, I got 14
errors for www.pinyinology.com, but was not able to see anything wrong
with those errors. For instance:

Error Line 403 column 6: end tag for "BODY" which is not finished.

It says the tag </body> is an error. It does not make sense to me.
The open tag <body> is there. And I have to close it with </body>. I
am still trying to figure out why the tag is an error, and how to
correct it.

I am still learning. Enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

You still have some xhtml type endings />s.

When I looked, nothing was said about </body>