CUDA bindings?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jzakiya, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. jzakiya

    jzakiya Guest

    I was wondering if anybody has (is thinking of) creating CUDA
    bindings. I searched this forum archives, and rubyforge.org, but
    couldn't find any references to CUDA.

    Wikipedia showed an example with python.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

    CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture), is a compiler and set of
    development tools that enable programmers to use a variation of C to
    code algorithms for execution on the graphics processing unit (GPU).
    CUDA has been developed by NVIDIA and to use this architecture
    requires an Nvidia GPU and drivers. The latest drivers all contain the
    necessary CUDA components. CUDA works with all NVIDIA GPUs from the
    G8X series onwards, including GeForce, Quadro and the Tesla line.
    NVIDIA states that programs developed for the GeForce 8 series will
    also work without modification on all future Nvidia video cards, due
    to binary compatibility. CUDA gives developers access to the native
    instruction set and memory of the massively parallel computational
    elements in CUDA GPUs. Using CUDA, the latest NVIDIA GPUs effectively
    become open architectures like CPUs (Central Processing Units). Unlike
    CPUs however, GPUs have a parallel "many-core" architecture, each core
    capable of running thousands of threads simultaneously - if an
    application is suited to this kind of an architecture, the GPU can
    offer large performance benefits. CUDA provides both deterministic low
    level API and a higher level API.
    jzakiya, Sep 9, 2008

  2. jzakiya

    Jan Dvorak Guest

    On Tuesday 09 September 2008 05:43:46 jzakiya wrote:
    > I was wondering if anybody has (is thinking of) creating CUDA
    > bindings. I searched this forum archives, and rubyforge.org, but
    > couldn't find any references to CUDA.

    I was thinking about that few months back, but didn't really get to it due to
    lack of time. Also there's the problem of target audience - the number of
    people that would be interested in it can be counted on the fingers of one
    hand of blind butcher. (And those people can as well go the Python route)

    Jan
    Jan Dvorak, Sep 9, 2008

  3. On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Jan Dvorak wrote:

    > On Tuesday 09 September 2008 05:43:46 jzakiya wrote:
    >> I was wondering if anybody has (is thinking of) creating CUDA
    >> bindings. I searched this forum archives, and rubyforge.org, but
    >> couldn't find any references to CUDA.

    > I was thinking about that few months back, but didn't really get to it due to
    > lack of time. Also there's the problem of target audience - the number of
    > people that would be interested in it can be counted on the fingers of one
    > hand of blind butcher. (And those people can as well go the Python route)

    Actually, I am interested and I'll be a number of the folks on the Beowulf
    list would be interested.

    -- Matt
    It's not what I know that counts.
    Matt Lawrence, Sep 13, 2008
  4. Sergio Footenko, May 13, 2009
  5. jzakiya

    Tony Arcieri Guest

    On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Sergio Footenko <> wrote:

    > I'm interested too =)

    I know the Rubinius people were interested in using GPU-type features or
    maybe CUDA. Evan Phoenix, the Rubinius head honcho, was even talking about
    using GPU features to accelerate things like method dispatch. Pretty nuts.

    --
    Tony Arcieri
    medioh.com
    Tony Arcieri, May 13, 2009
  6. jzakiya

    Loren Segal Guest

    Loren Segal, Aug 31, 2009
  7. I think this posting falls into the category of being a replay to a
    related question: "Attention: posting any kind of advertisement for
    commercial products or services, unless in reply to a related question,
    is prohibited."

    I have posted the KappaCUDA rubygem (under the MIT License). The Kappa
    Library is a commercial library that uses the NVIDIA CUDA driver API to
    give an object-oriented scheduler based interface to CUDA, C/C++ OpenMP,
    Perl, and Python. The Kappa scheduler allows mixing these different
    components together in combined tasks and libraries. The Kappa
    scheduler ends up giving better performance on the current NVIDIA
    hardware than directly using the NVIDIA APIs--even with pure C++ code.

    The Perl and Python keywords are extensions to Kappa. The Perl and
    Python keywords' source code are MIT License--it should be easy for
    anyone with knowledge of embedded Ruby to use these examples to create a
    Ruby keyword so that you can not only have a task being executed by Ruby
    but that it can combine CUDA, C/C++ OpenMP, Perl, Python, and Ruby.
    Brian Dunford-shore, Jun 28, 2010