    possible an experience as I work my way through the llama book for the
    first time. Many thanks! (My feelings won't be hurt by backchannel
    beau
    usenet_spam_cygwin, Apr 29, 2004

  2. usenet_spam_cygwin <> wrote:

    > Howdy. A google search "activestate versus cygwin" didn't do me
    > much good, so I'm asking the fine folks at comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > any clear reason to use one over the other? My objective, really,
    > is as seamless as possible an experience as I work my way through
    > the llama book for the first time. Many thanks! (My feelings
    > won't be hurt by backchannel responses if you feel it's not
    > sufficiently on topic.)

    Hmm, I don't recall the exercises in _Learning Perl_ having much if
    any *nix-specific flavor to them, so it shouldn't really make much
    difference. I learned what I know of Perl by using it mostly on win32
    systems -- but I'm by no means a Perl wizard.

    The unix-specific parts of Perl are mostly pretty easy to spot,
    anyway. If you already have Activestate Perl installed, see the
    Windows Quirks section of the ActivePerl FAQ, and check out 'perldoc
    perlwin32'. (One thing that makes perldoc MUCH better under win32 is
    to get a copy of the 'less' pager program and set the environment
    variable PERLDOC_PAGER to point to less.)

    Contrariwise, if you're used to *nix systems or cygwin, I can't think
    of any reason not to use Perl under cygwin. I keep cygwin around so
    that, among other reasons, I can run Perl one-liners without dealing
    with silly quoting issues the windows command-line shell imposes.

    Elvish advice, both no and yes... but if you're used to windows, I'd
    say stick with Activestate Perl. You'll have the voluminous Perl docs
    available in HTML form for browsing and printing (do yourself and us
    a favor and read the FAQ after you finish LP, or at least skim it),
    PPM makes it painless to install most non-core modules, and there are
    some win32-specific modules bundled with Activestate Perl that
    occasionally come in handy.

    --
    David Wall
    (no, I am not related to Larry Wall -- although I'd be happy to claim
    David K. Wall, Apr 29, 2004

  3. On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, David K. Wall wrote:

    > The unix-specific parts of Perl are mostly pretty easy to spot,
    > anyway.

    There used to be a degree of unix bigotry in some parts of the
    documentation, but that has been wisely eased-out in recent versions.
    Which well behoves a language that aims to be portable.

    Nevertheless, there are still some useful features modelled on unix
    paradigms which don't necessarily translate into Windows (generic)
    terms, as you'd find out only too keenly if you tried to do the
    related tasks in Win/9x. But Win/NT and its successors are quite
    different animals, despite the superficial similarity.

    > If you already have Activestate Perl installed, see the
    > Windows Quirks section of the ActivePerl FAQ, and check out 'perldoc
    > perlwin32'.

    Good advice, indeed

    > (One thing that makes perldoc MUCH better under win32 is
    > to get a copy of the 'less' pager program and set the environment
    > variable PERLDOC_PAGER to point to less.)

    I must admit I find ActiveState's HTML-ified documentation to be more
    approachable. Although there's just an occasional glitch where the
    HTML conversion didn't quite click...

    > Contrariwise, if you're used to *nix systems or cygwin, I can't think
    > of any reason not to use Perl under cygwin. I keep cygwin around so
    > that, among other reasons, I can run Perl one-liners without dealing
    > with silly quoting issues the windows command-line shell imposes.

    No dispute there.

    > Elvish advice, both no and yes... but if you're used to windows, I'd
    > say stick with Activestate Perl.

    AFAICS both strands of your advice are good. (FWIW I've got both
    available on Win/2K, although I do most of my serious work under unix
    - or rather, nowadays it's linux).

    best regards
    Alan J. Flavell, Apr 29, 2004
  4. usenet_spam_cygwin

    Robin Guest

    "usenet_spam_cygwin" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy. A google search "activestate versus cygwin" didn't do me much
    > good, so I'm asking the fine folks at comp.lang.perl.misc: any clear
    > reason to use one over the other? My objective, really, is as seamless as
    > possible an experience as I work my way through the llama book for the
    > first time. Many thanks! (My feelings won't be hurt by backchannel
    > beau

    cygwin is hard and tedious to download, taking many days if your on a
    dial-up connection, there's nothing wrong with perl on win32. Just to tell
    you if your on dial-up.
    -Robin
    Robin, Apr 30, 2004
  5. On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:10:27 -0000, "David K. Wall"
    <> wrote:

    >perlwin32'. (One thing that makes perldoc MUCH better under win32 is
    >to get a copy of the 'less' pager program and set the environment
    >variable PERLDOC_PAGER to point to less.)

    BTW: this is exactly what I hade done soon after installing AS perl
    the very first time; I'm using less from UNXUTILS/UNXUPDATES, which is
    fine. But I have some problems with some keybindings (yes, not a Perl
    question!): e.g. I can't use PgUp, but I have to use 'b' instead. Not
    so bad after all, but still slightly annoying...

    I don't know if this is a inputrc issue or if it is possibly related
    to any other cfg file: I've been thinking so many times to write to
    the the collection maintainer for more info, but always been too lazy
    to actually do that. So, *by any chance*, do you know how to fix that
    behaviour offhand?!?

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
    Michele Dondi, Apr 30, 2004
  6. Michele Dondi <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:10:27 -0000, "David K. Wall"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>perlwin32'. (One thing that makes perldoc MUCH better under win32
    >>is to get a copy of the 'less' pager program and set the
    >>environment variable PERLDOC_PAGER to point to less.)

    > BTW: this is exactly what I hade done soon after installing AS
    > perl the very first time; I'm using less from UNXUTILS/UNXUPDATES,
    > which is fine. But I have some problems with some keybindings
    > (yes, not a Perl question!): e.g. I can't use PgUp, but I have to
    > use 'b' instead. Not so bad after all, but still slightly
    > annoying...
    >
    > I don't know if this is a inputrc issue or if it is possibly
    > related to any other cfg file: I've been thinking so many times to
    > write to the the collection maintainer for more info, but always
    > been too lazy to actually do that. So, *by any chance*, do you
    > know how to fix that behaviour offhand?!?

    Nope, PageDown and PageUp work just as you would expect for me. I
    normally use space and 'b' anyway because that's how I learned it
    originally, plus I don't have to move my hands as much that way.

    In case it helps, here's the version of less I'm using:

    less 381
    Copyright (C) 2002 Mark Nudelman

    less comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
    For information about the terms of redistribution,
    see the file named README in the less distribution.
    Homepage: http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less

    I have version 340 bundled with some GNU tools compiled for win32 and
    it works as expected, too. Sorry.

    --
    David
    David K. Wall, Apr 30, 2004
  7. usenet_spam_cygwin

    Guest Guest

    In article <c6stfh$3dm$>, Robin wrote:
    > cygwin is hard and tedious to download, taking many days if your on a
    > dial-up connection, there's nothing wrong with perl on win32. Just to tell
    > you if your on dial-up.
    > -Robin

    Hey, thanks to all for the input; looks like I'm fine either way I go.
    Thank god I'm not on dial up! First I got activestate, then while
    surfing I read a comment something like, "use cygwin for writing perl
    if you want to do it the easy way." I completely failed to grok
    cygwin, didn't know getting cygwin would mean having a second perl
    implementation on the box. So now I've got both but will probably use
    cygwin as much as possible, at least for getting through
    _learning_perl_, because the feel of all-command-line-all-the-time is
    what I'm trying to approximate.

    Thanks again!
    --
    beau
    Guest, Apr 30, 2004
  8. On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:48:20 -0000, "David K. Wall"
    <> wrote:

    >> BTW: this is exactly what I hade done soon after installing AS
    >> perl the very first time; I'm using less from UNXUTILS/UNXUPDATES,
    >> which is fine. But I have some problems with some keybindings
    >> (yes, not a Perl question!): e.g. I can't use PgUp, but I have to
    >> use 'b' instead. Not so bad after all, but still slightly
    >> annoying...

    [snip]
    >Nope, PageDown and PageUp work just as you would expect for me. I
    >normally use space and 'b' anyway because that's how I learned it
    >originally, plus I don't have to move my hands as much that way.
    >
    >In case it helps, here's the version of less I'm using:

    [snip]
    >I have version 340 bundled with some GNU tools compiled for win32 and
    >it works as expected, too. Sorry.

    340 here too, and *not* working as expected! (Maybe due to non-US
    settings?)

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
    Michele Dondi, May 1, 2004