Date formatting to iCal Standard.

Jerry Yang

Hi
My DB has 2 fields, one which has the date the other has the time.

The date field is called Appt_Date and has values like 12/03/2008 (DD/
MM/YYYY)

The time field is called Appt_Time and has values like 10:30 (am)

I can retrieve both of these fields from the DB and present them on
screen, but I need to do it in iCAL format.

For example, the following represents Janurary 18, 1998, at 11 PM:

19980118T230000

Any idea how I can do this ?

Thanks

Old Pedant

Jerry Yang said:
My DB has 2 fields, one which has the date the other has the time.
The date field is called Appt_Date and has values like 12/03/2008 (DD/
MM/YYYY)

No, it doesn't. That might be how they show up when you display them, but I
guarantee you that whatever DB you are using, they are stored in some
unreadable-by-humans internal form. (Well...maybe excepting for MySQL.
Where they will be stored as YYYYMMDD.)
The time field is called Appt_Time and has values like 10:30 (am)
Ditto.

For example, the following represents Janurary 18, 1998, at 11 PM:
19980118T230000
Any idea how I can do this ?

Easy, peasy:

<%
dt = RS("Appt_Date")
tm = RS("Appt_Time")
iCalTime = (Year(dt) * 10000 + Month(dt) * 100 + Day(dt) ) _
& "T"
& (Hour(tm)*10000 + Minute(tm) * 100 + Second(tm))
%>

Okay?

Old Pedant

Old Pedant said:
<%
dt = RS("Appt_Date")
tm = RS("Appt_Time")
iCalTime = (Year(dt) * 10000 + Month(dt) * 100 + Day(dt) ) _
& "T"
& (Hour(tm)*10000 + Minute(tm) * 100 + Second(tm))
%>

Oops...missed the underline on the "T" line.
It should read:
& "T" _

Or you can jam all of that stuff onto a single line of code and get rid of
the underlines. I formatted it like that so it would show cleanly in most
newsreaders. And then blew it. <sigh/>