DateTime Parse and Regional Settings

Harold Crump

Greetings,

This is not strictly a ASP.NET question, but I am hoping someone can
help.

I have an ASP.NET web app that used the DateTime.Parse and Compare
methods a lot.

As expected, the Regional Settings/Culture on the server (Windows
Server 2003), affects the behaviour of those DateTime functions (date
formats in terms of US, UK, CAN, etc.).

Example - whether 2/10/2006 is interpreted as 2nd Oct or 10th Feb, etc.

My question is - exactly which setting in the Control Panel controls
that?
I have tried changing the date formats under Control Panel -> Regional
and Language Options, but that doesn't make a difference.

So where is this setting?

Thanks for any help.

-Harold
P.S. I know that I can control the behaviour of the function by
specifying a culture argument in the code, but I am looking for the
Control Panel setting that allows me to flip back and forth without
changing code.

Guest

If you know is US Date format, you can use

DateTime.Parse("2/10/2006", new CultureInfo("en-US"));

HTH

Elton Wang

Harold Crump

Elton said:
If you know is US Date format, you can use

DateTime.Parse("2/10/2006", new CultureInfo("en-US"));

Yes, I know that - pl. read my P.S. ;)

My question is where in the Windows Control Panel those settings can be
changed.

Thanks !

Guest

try change culture setting in Web.config:

<globalization
requestEncoding="utf-8"
responseEncoding="utf-8"
culture="en-US"
/>

Harold Crump

Elton said:
try change culture setting in Web.config:

<globalization
requestEncoding="utf-8"
responseEncoding="utf-8"
culture="en-US"
/>

So there is no way to change the culture for the .NET framework using
the Windows Control Panel settings?

On what basis does the framework decide which culture to use, if
nothing is specified in the machine.config or the web.config (as in my
case).

It must be reading that from somewhere in the Windows operating system.

Any ideas?

Thanks !

Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Regional and Language Settings

Hi Harold,

In response to your question. If you open up the regional and language settings and navigate to the Advanced tab. Tick the check box which says "Default User Account Settings" and then reboot your server.

The culture selected in the regional and language settings should now be picked up by your ASP.Net application.

Hope this helps.

Lee