Default value for input type file?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ramkum@gmail.com, Sep 21, 2006.

    I'm building a system where a presenter uploads a PPT to my server and
    then I show it to all the participants. The problem is that most of the

    media in the PPT is usually linked, so I'll need to upload all that
    too. Assuming I can parse the PPT and figure the exact name and
    location of each of the media files I need from his hard-disk, is there

    any way I can upload all these files automatically, without having to
    make the user choose each of these files manually? If that's not
    possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a list of input boxes

    of type file, pre-populated with the file-path and name of the media
    files I need, so that the user can just click 'Submit' without having
    to browse and select each of them?

    Please say yes. It would be a major usability crisis if my users had to

    keep hitting the browse button so many times for each PPT! Especially
    when I know exactly what files I need and where they are! I know that
    this has a lot to do with browser security, but there's got to be SOME
    way out?

    Thanks,
    , Sep 21, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > ... is there any way I can upload all these files automatically,
    > without having to make the user choose each of these files manually?

    No. It would be a privacy and security violation to allow a user agent
    to upload content without explicit consent.

    > If that's not possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a
    > list of input boxes of type file, pre-populated with the file-path
    > and name of the media files I need ...

    No, because if the control could be given a default value, that value
    would be used if a script were to automatically submit the form.

    [snip]

    Mike
    Michael Winter, Sep 21, 2006

    Thanks a lot for confirming, Mike. Though I dont quit like it, it makes
    a lot of sense.

    I guess I'll have to write an ugly signed Java applet to do the
    uploading for me..

    Michael Winter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > ... is there any way I can upload all these files automatically,
    > > without having to make the user choose each of these files manually?

    > No. It would be a privacy and security violation to allow a user agent
    > to upload content without explicit consent.
    >
    > > If that's not possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a
    > > list of input boxes of type file, pre-populated with the file-path
    > > and name of the media files I need ...

    > No, because if the control could be given a default value, that value
    > would be used if a script were to automatically submit the form.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Mike
    , Sep 21, 2006