    http://home.earthlink.net/~abhosk/test/test.htm

    http://home.earthlink.net/~abhosk/test/test.css

    Roland
    Roland, Feb 10, 2007

  2. Roland wrote:

    > I am working on a nav menu for a sports team fan page. Everything works
    > fine up to this point except for a delay for the sebmenus and their hover
    > effect in IE6. In FF, Opera, and Netscape the effects apply as fast as I
    > put my mouse over them making it so I can just zip up and down the list
    > watching the colors change. But the delay in IE6 makes me feel like I am
    > wasting my time considering how many people use it.
    >
    > Can someone look with IE7 and see if the long delay is in that version?
    >
    > There are a total of 31 links in the 2nd submenu that I think may be
    > causing this. There is an "a" and "a:hover" id(with bg images) for each of
    > these in the css file to get the effect. Is it possible that the amount of
    > links is slowing the menu down in IE6?
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~abhosk/test/test.htm
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~abhosk/test/test.css

    Can't say much about IE, but: the sub-submenus are so long that they do not
    fit completely on my screen (1024x786) and I don't have a chance to reach
    the lower items. Also when linebreaks are inserted into items (which
    happens in my Konq), the text overlaps the icons.

    The delays in IE may be caused by a known bug that causes IE to
    (re-)download background images, everytime they are changed - even if they
    are cached. But that's just a guess, because I'm too lazy to fire up VMWare
    to verify.

    HTH

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Feb 10, 2007

  3. Roland

    Bergamot Guest

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    > Roland wrote:
    >
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~abhosk/test/test.htm

    > the sub-submenus are so long that they do not
    > fit completely on my screen (1024x786) and I don't have a chance to reach
    > the lower items.

    Another problem with these kinds of menus in general is that they
    require very good coordination with the mouse. My experience is usually
    the submenu I'm trying to get to disappears before I reach it because
    the cursor wavers off the path on the way to a particular item.

    I tend to curse the rotten things and can't fathom why they seem to be
    so popular. :(

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Feb 10, 2007
  4. Roland

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Bergamot wrote:
    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >> Roland wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://home.earthlink.net/~abhosk/test/test.htm

    >> the sub-submenus are so long that they do not
    >> fit completely on my screen (1024x786) and I don't have a chance to reach
    >> the lower items.

    > Another problem with these kinds of menus in general is that they
    > require very good coordination with the mouse. My experience is usually
    > the submenu I'm trying to get to disappears before I reach it because
    > the cursor wavers off the path on the way to a particular item.
    >
    > I tend to curse the rotten things and can't fathom why they seem to be
    > so popular. :(

    It's the "coolness" factor of having one, it's more important than
    userfriendlyness.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Feb 10, 2007
  5. Bergamot wrote:

    > Another problem with these kinds of menus in general is that they
    > require very good coordination with the mouse. My experience is usually
    > the submenu I'm trying to get to disappears before I reach it because
    > the cursor wavers off the path on the way to a particular item.
    >
    > I tend to curse the rotten things and can't fathom why they seem to be
    > so popular. :(

    Because they can handle a site's large hierarchal links without taking
    up a lot of real estate. Horizontal with drop down submenus are a bit
    easier to navigate with a shaky hand but are more limited in the number
    of base links that can fit across the average screen.

    You can use the old time method of only having the adjacent page links
    with maybe a "home" link on the page. But it is not very convenient
    forcing the visitor to "wander the Oregon trail" to navigate your site!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 10, 2007
  6. Roland

    Bergamot Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > You can use the old time method of only having the adjacent page links
    > with maybe a "home" link on the page. But it is not very convenient
    > forcing the visitor to "wander the Oregon trail" to navigate your site!

    I don't deny that multi-level menus may be tolerable to use for some
    people, but forcing their use by all visitors is rude and a definite
    PITA for many.

    If there is a separate site map with plain text links, I'm happy to use
    that instead. Too bad most sites don't have one. :(

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Feb 10, 2007
  7. Bergamot wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> You can use the old time method of only having the adjacent page links
    >> with maybe a "home" link on the page. But it is not very convenient
    >> forcing the visitor to "wander the Oregon trail" to navigate your site!

    > I don't deny that multi-level menus may be tolerable to use for some
    > people, but forcing their use by all visitors is rude and a definite
    > PITA for many.
    >
    > If there is a separate site map with plain text links, I'm happy to use
    > that instead. Too bad most sites don't have one. :(

    I always like to put a site map on my sites. Since I manage my pages
    with a database generating a site map is a cinch.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 11, 2007