demystify: WCF applications cannot be exposed to 3rd parties

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by aiKeith, Mar 3, 2008.

  1. aiKeith

    aiKeith Guest

    Specifically what we are trying to 'demystify' is this:

    We created a wcf service that we allow other developers to consume. However
    lets say with the default wcf settings one of the developers consumes the
    service, runs a loop that consumes 10 connections and never calls .close() on
    the service...

    Basically this keeps anyone else from being able to use the service... thus
    the real question is: How do you keep a developer that is consuming your
    service from being able to completely bringing it down and making it unusable
    for everyone?

    How is it even possible to create a wcf service that works like a web
    service? ie: we never have to worry about inside/outside developers
    consuming our service and using up all of the connections. The feeling we
    are getting is that you could not use wcf to expose data to outside entities
    like you could a web service out of fear of that company/developer not
    calling the .close() method.

    Any help/insight would be appreciated.

    aiKeith, Mar 3, 2008