WCF compatibility with .rdlc report designer?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by aclcarter, Nov 2, 2009.

  1. aclcarter

    aclcarter Guest

    I'm trying to use types exposed by WCF service references in an ASP.NET web
    application within the Report Designer. The service references split the type
    definitions across multiple .xsd files, which appears to work fine from a
    normal coding perspective. But when I try to create a report, the Data
    Sources view is empty, I can't add a new data source, and the Report->Data
    Sources menu option throws up an error about a schema type not being defined.

    The error varies depending on which service references are added to the
    project. If the service is extremely simple, with no 'complications'
    (enumerations, streams, datasets, etc) it is just about possible to get the
    Data Sources window to recognize the service types. But if there's anything
    remotely interesting going on, it just fails.

    Now, is this something that can be fixed? How can I get the Website Data
    Sources panel to recognize types exposed on a WCF service where these types
    include at a minimum custom enumerations?

    Cheers,

    Andy
    aclcarter, Nov 2, 2009

  2. I'm finding more or less the same problem.

    I'm trying to use reportviewer + rdlc report file definition to create
    reports using the object model exposed via two WCF services references. I've
    tested using a test web site app.

    It's a very strange behavior; In a page I added a report viewer and an RDLC
    file; Using the menu items:"report->Data Sources" all is fine, the dialog
    pops up. Then I added a WCF service reference to the web site and going
    throug the same menu items, I get an "Schema not defined" error.

    Interesting thing: I've detached the first WCF services and attached a
    second WCF service; I get in this case an "Undefined complexType
    'http://namespace:type' is used as a base for complex type definition" error.

    This last error should be related to the fact the service expose some
    derived classes.

    Can some MS guru explain what's happen under the scenes?

    Any help appreciated.

    regards, Antonio

    Antonio Di Mitri, Nov 26, 2009

  3. aclcarter

    srinivas s Guest

    On Nov 26, 2:22 pm, Antonio Di Mitri
    <> wrote:
    > I'm finding more or less the same problem.
    >
    > I'm trying to use reportviewer + rdlc report file definition to create
    > reports using the object model exposed via two WCF services references. I've
    > tested using a test web site app.
    >
    > It's a very strange behavior; In a page I added a report viewer and an RDLC
    > file; Using the menu items:"report->Data Sources" all is fine, the dialog
    > pops up. Then I added a WCF service reference to the web site and going
    > throug the same menu items, I get an "Schema not defined" error.
    >
    > Interesting thing: I've  detached the first WCF services and attached a
    > second WCF service; I get in this case an "Undefined complexType
    > 'http://namespace:type'is used as a base for complex type definition" error.
    >
    > This last error should be related to the fact the service expose some
    > derived classes.
    >
    > Can some MS guru explain what's happen under the scenes?
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > regards, Antonio
    >

    > "aclcarter" wrote:
    > > I'm trying to use types exposed by WCF service references in an ASP.NETweb
    > > application within the Report Designer. The service references split the type
    > > definitions across multiple .xsd files, which appears to work fine froma
    > > normal coding perspective. But when I try to create a report, the Data
    > > Sources view is empty, I can't add a new data source, and the Report->Data
    > > Sources menu option throws up an error about a schema type not being defined.

    > > The error varies depending on which service references are added to the
    > > project. If the service is extremely simple, with no 'complications'
    > > (enumerations, streams, datasets, etc) it is just about possible to getthe
    > > Data Sources window to recognize the service types. But if there's anything
    > > remotely interesting going on, it just fails.

    > > Now, is this something that can be fixed? How can I get the Website Data
    > > Sources panel to recognize types exposed on a WCF service where these types
    > > include at a minimum custom enumerations?

    > > Cheers,

    > > Andy- Hide quoted text -

    Can you help me pls....
    i am also facing same problem.

    In my solution i am using .rdlc reports calling through WCF.Single
    report working fine.
    but here i add another report i didn't get the reportsouce.

    "The 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema:schema' element is not
    declared"

    i am getting this Error

    anyBody Can u help me pls....