Deploy ASP.NET 1.1 project on live sites

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nils=20Hedstr=f6m?=

I have a ASP.NET 1.1 project that I want to be able to deploy on my web-servers
while they have real traffic (40 requests/second).

When I copy the projects assembly in the bin-directory of the website directory
the application gets restarted and the web server needs to recompile all
my aspx-pages. Because the traffic is high the web server needs to recompile
a lot of aspx-pages at the same time.
Because of this alot of requests gets queued and I get so me "Server too
busy" errors (because the queue got full).

What are the best practices for deployment on these kinds of scenarios? I
want do minimize the delay the users get when I deploy a new version.

I have a web garden (2 worker processes) on each web server (because I want
increased stability). Is it true that I need to compile each page twice if
I have 2 worker processes?
Is it necessary to have 2 worker processes if stability is not a problem?

/niss

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nisse,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
As for the questions with deploying updating components in asp.net web
application, here are some of my understanding and suggestions:

Generally all the private components(non- strong named) are all put in the
private bin dir, and when there occur any modificatio in the bin dir, the
application's running appDomain will restart. And during the reinitilize
of the new appdomain, there'll occur some operations , such as the
recompilation of the dynamic pages or components you mentioned, also the
runtime will shadow copy some of the used private assemlies. And such
dynamic compiled assmelies or shadow copied ones's target location is also
appDomain specific (the target temp dir), so in WebGarden scenario, whether
each appdomain in separate process will need to dynamically recompile the
pages or shadow copy the components also depend on the internal
implemenation(whether they'll share the same dynamic code generation or
shadow copy temp dir location). IMO, I think the current implemenation
will share such setting for each application so as to avoid additional
overhead, but the reload of each appdomain in multi asp.net process is
unavoidavable.

In addition, for webgarden, if not necessary( for stability), of course we
recommend that we avoid using it since web garden or other webfarm (loading
balance ...) will cause problems for state management such as the
Inproc session , Applicaiton in memory datas( the Asp.net Cache
collection... ).

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nils=20Hedstr=f6m?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Deploy ASP.NET 1.1 project on live sites
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:49:29 -0700
|
| I have a ASP.NET 1.1 project that I want to be able to deploy on my
web-servers
| while they have real traffic (40 requests/second).
|
| When I copy the projects assembly in the bin-directory of the website
directory
| the application gets restarted and the web server needs to recompile all
| my aspx-pages. Because the traffic is high the web server needs to
recompile
| a lot of aspx-pages at the same time.
| Because of this alot of requests gets queued and I get so me "Server too
| busy" errors (because the queue got full).
|
| What are the best practices for deployment on these kinds of scenarios? I
| want do minimize the delay the users get when I deploy a new version.
|
| I have a web garden (2 worker processes) on each web server (because I
want
| increased stability). Is it true that I need to compile each page twice
if
| I have 2 worker processes?
| Is it necessary to have 2 worker processes if stability is not a problem?
|
| /nisse

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nisse,

How are you doing on this issue and does the things in my last reply helps
a littile. If there're any further questions or anything else we can help,
please feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:15:26 GMT
| Subject: RE: Deploy ASP.NET 1.1 project on live sites
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Nisse,
|
| Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| As for the questions with deploying updating components in asp.net web
| application, here are some of my understanding and suggestions:
|
| Generally all the private components(non- strong named) are all put in
the
| private bin dir, and when there occur any modificatio in the bin dir, the
| application's running appDomain will restart. And during the reinitilize
| of the new appdomain, there'll occur some operations , such as the
| recompilation of the dynamic pages or components you mentioned, also the
| runtime will shadow copy some of the used private assemlies. And such
| dynamic compiled assmelies or shadow copied ones's target location is
also
| appDomain specific (the target temp dir), so in WebGarden scenario,
whether
| each appdomain in separate process will need to dynamically recompile the
| pages or shadow copy the components also depend on the internal
| implemenation(whether they'll share the same dynamic code generation or
| shadow copy temp dir location). IMO, I think the current implemenation
| will share such setting for each application so as to avoid additional
| overhead, but the reload of each appdomain in multi asp.net process is
| unavoidavable.
|
| In addition, for webgarden, if not necessary( for stability), of course
we
| recommend that we avoid using it since web garden or other webfarm
| balance ...) will cause problems for state management such as the
| Inproc session , Applicaiton in memory datas( the Asp.net Cache
| collection... ).
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nils=20Hedstr=f6m?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Deploy ASP.NET 1.1 project on live sites
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| | Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:49:29 -0700
| |
| | I have a ASP.NET 1.1 project that I want to be able to deploy on my
| web-servers
| | while they have real traffic (40 requests/second).
| |
| | When I copy the projects assembly in the bin-directory of the website
| directory
| | the application gets restarted and the web server needs to recompile
all
| | my aspx-pages. Because the traffic is high the web server needs to
| recompile
| | a lot of aspx-pages at the same time.
| | Because of this alot of requests gets queued and I get so me "Server
too
| | busy" errors (because the queue got full).
| |
| | What are the best practices for deployment on these kinds of scenarios?
| | want do minimize the delay the users get when I deploy a new version.
| |
| | I have a web garden (2 worker processes) on each web server (because I
| want
| | increased stability). Is it true that I need to compile each page twice
| if
| | I have 2 worker processes?
| | Is it necessary to have 2 worker processes if stability is not a
problem?
| |
| | /nisse

| |