Deploy ASPX, browse, get HTTP Error 404

Larry Brindise

I have an asp.net application. I have used VStudio Web
Deployment Project to create the MSI file. I copy the
MSI file from my developer PC to my test server running
Win2003Server Web Edition. I run the MSI to install -
looks good so far - I see the global directory, etc.
I try opening the app in IE via www.myweb.com/aspxfolder;
where aspxfolder is the global directory. I get the
wonderful "HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found"
page. So, I created a test.html file in the same global
directory and browsed to
www.myweb.com/aspxfolder/test.html - and I see my test
HTML. So, this has to be some type of aspx installation
or aspx execution security issue???? I am not sure where
to start because I basically accepted all defaults on
installation of w2003WE and the web deployment project in
VS.NET.
Help? Thanks!
-Larry

Francis Shanahan

You're browsing to the folder?
That means IIS serves up the default page for the folder, normally
default.asp
The Start Page in the Web Project and the default page in IIS can and often
are different.

Try browsing to an aspx page like you did with the html.
I suspect IIS is serving up default.asp and you don't have a page in your
project by that name.

-fs

Larry Brindise

Thanks for the attempt.
Actually, the VS.NET web deployment wizard is really
smart. It actually sets the default page in the global
directory to default.aspx, so you don't even have to mess
with that.

Whether I browse to the folder (expecting the default
page to be loaded), or I browse explicitly to that
page ".../default.aspx", I get the same problematic
result.
I've gone over the IIS configs - the fact that I can
browse to my test.html proves it is not that iis doesn't
like the folder configs. I'm convinced it has to be
something with aspx security.

-Larry

Larry Brindise

I truly appreciate your persistence. I already checked
both of these. This is really unexpected, however, it is
the first asp.net app I'm deploying, so I don't know what
to expect. I'll post a response here when I get the
answer - perhaps it'll cost me $245.
-Larry

Frank Drebin

Are the actual files in the actual directory? If you use Windows Explorer -
are they under \inetpub\wwwroot\aspxfolder ???

Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Does anybody have a solution to this problem ?
I have "allowed" ASP.net in the Web Service Extensions.

Any help appreciated.