Deploying .cab files with .NET

Jason

I am using third party software to view and manipulate
images in a C# project. I access this software through
several .dll files which are references in my C#
project. This project is one of seven projects in a
large web application. For client computers to use these
third party .dll files, I need to deploy them in a .CAB
file. I used the Setup Wizard to create a deployment
project which created the .CAB file containing the
needed .dll files. How do I actually deploy this .CAB
file so that a client can receive it, store it in its
temporary internet files and have access to these .dll
files? Or is there a better way to do this than using
a .CAB file? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

MSFT

Hi Jason,

VS.NET provide an new feature to simplify deploying and updating a Windows
Form Smart Client using a Web Server:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechar
t/html/vbtchNo-TouchDeploymentInNETFramework.asp

For more .Net deployment issue, you may refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechar
t/html/vstchdeployment.asp

Hope this help,

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

I have incorporated this feature into our web
application, but it is not finding the dlls. I have
multiple assemblies to load so I'm using Assembly.LoadFrom
(URI) in a static constructor. At this point I'm just
trying to get this to work locally therefore the URI is:
"http://localhost/WEBAPP/bin/LEAD.Wrapper.dll"
All of the dlls I'm loading are located in the bin
directory

The following exception is being thrown:
"File or assembly name LEAD.Wrapper.dll, or one of its
dependencies, was not found"

I am loading all of the indirect dependencies in order of
dependency. In addition, when I use the actual file path:
"C:\\programfiles\\etc..." it works fine.

I have tried just using the dll name instead of the full
URL with no success. And, my .net local intranet
security is set to full trust. So security shouldn't be
a problem.

Can you tell me what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Jason

MSFT

Hi Jason,

Smart Client only support static reference, for example, adding a real
reference in the project. For dynamic reference, for exmaple, load a
assembly with Assembly.LoadFrom method, it will try to find the file, not
download the file. For the situation, I think we have two approach:

1. Deploy the assembly to client locally with a setup package
2. compose a dynamic loading module by ourself. For example, download the
file with httprequest and save it in temp folder, and then load it.