Deployment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by M.D.M., Mar 22, 2005.

  1. M.D.M.

    M.D.M. Guest

    M.D.M., Mar 22, 2005

  2. M.D.M.

    Vern DeHaven Guest

    MDM,

    DNS is up to DNS, not VS.NET. You will be able to address your Web
    service as such if your server's IP is registered to "www.mydomain.com"
    with DNS. The deployment project will handle virtual directories and
    below only.

    You can deploy to the root of a Web site by blanking the virtual directory
    textbox on setup.

    HTH,
    Vern

    Vern DeHaven, Mar 22, 2005

  3. M.D.M.

    M.D.M. Guest

    Suppose, I have on my Web server many Web sites with many domain names e.g.:
    www.mydomain1.com for Web site # 1
    www.mydomainname2.com for Web site #c 2
    www.mydomainname50.com for Web site # 50

    but if I make Web setup project for Web service in VS.NET and then I will
    run it in my target server, Web service will be installed to default Web site
    in IIS. This means I can access it via http://loacalhost/ from Web server and
    this I do not want. I want to deploy its to one specific DNS name (e.g. to
    www.mydomainname51.com) not to loacalhost.

    P.S.: Host header must be www.mydomain51.com only. In my first post I
    miscopied it. (I wrote http://www.mydomain.com/MyWebService.asmx what is bad).

    M.D.M., Mar 22, 2005
  4. M.D.M.

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    I think each of your web site has different port on your server. When we
    install a web setup created in VS.NET, we can specify the port we want to
    install, so that the web service can be installed on different web site.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Mar 23, 2005
  5. M.D.M.

    M.D.M. Guest

    Yes, you are true but all my Web sites have same port viz. 80 on single
    machine. And all Web sites can have same port thanks to they have different
    host header i.e. domain name. But VS.NET by default installs to host header
    localhost and I want to install to www.mydomainname51.com.

    I could use for every Web site different port but it is strong inconvenient
    for end users.

    E.g. Suppose Microsoft has one Web site www.microsoft.com and other
    msdn.microsoft.com - 2 DNS addresses. Both run at port 80 but you must set
    host header in IIS to their DNS or otherwise you will unable to create two
    Web site on single port on single machine. And if Microsoft do Web setup
    project for www.microsoft.com and msdn.microsoft.com they must specify host
    header i.e. DNS in their Web setup project. They can not install one to
    http://localhost/msdn and other to http://loacalhost/www because we should
    need to access them only via single DNS address and not via 2 i.e.
    www.microsoft.com and msdn.microsoft.com.

    Hope now it is clear what I want to do.

    M.D.M., Mar 23, 2005
  6. M.D.M.

    [MSFT] Guest

    Thank you for the clarify. I think VS.NET setup may help on the problem. It
    cannot specify the Host Header yet. I think you need to specify the
    directory for each of web site and VS.NET setup file can help you to
    install program files to these specified folder.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Mar 24, 2005
  7. M.D.M.

    B.J. Guest

    Hi,

    In book Deploying .NET Applications Lifecycle Guide published in Microsoft
    Press is written :

    Web setup projects allow you to specify which port to install the
    application on, they do not currently support deployment of a Web application
    to a site differentiated by host headers. Therefore, you need to consider
    alternatives to using Web setup projects to package your Web applications if
    you need to deploy in this scenario."

    B.J., Mar 24, 2005