Design Patterns Advice And Resources

NKOBAYE027

Hi Folks: Can anyone direct me to a good resource on design patterns. I'd
like to use them for a project I'm working on regarding set theory - in
particular I'd like to use the Decorator pattern to present an interface for
a 'sortable' set template derived from the default unsorted set template.
And, I'd like to have a Factory pattern used as a source of the set objects.
I am a relative newbie to this sort of design approach, so if I'm thinking
wrong about things then I appreciate being set (NPI) back on the correct
path. I have seen some C# source for these things, but I want to do it in
C++ and I'd do better with source examples than trying to divine what should
be a pointer and what should be a reference and so on when setting up the
original template. Any direction (aside from misdirection) would be
appreciated.

regards,
L.

Mike Wahler

NKOBAYE027 said:
Hi Folks: Can anyone direct me to a good resource on design patterns. I'd
like to use them for a project I'm working on regarding set theory - in
particular I'd like to use the Decorator pattern to present an interface for
a 'sortable' set template derived from the default unsorted set template.
And, I'd like to have a Factory pattern used as a source of the set objects.
I am a relative newbie to this sort of design approach, so if I'm thinking
wrong about things then I appreciate being set (NPI) back on the correct
path. I have seen some C# source for these things, but I want to do it in
C++ and I'd do better with source examples than trying to divine what should
be a pointer and what should be a reference and so on when setting up the
original template. Any direction (aside from misdirection) would be
appreciated.

http://hillside.net/patterns/

-Mike

Rolf Magnus

NKOBAYE027 said:
Hi Folks: Can anyone direct me to a good resource on design patterns.

"Design Patterns" by Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides, often called the
"GOF" (gang of four) book, because it was written by four authors.

NKOBAYE027

Thanks a lot everyone - I'm certain to have enough for many masochistic
hours of fun. :eek:)

regards,
L.

Phlip

NKOBAYE027 said:
Thanks a lot everyone - I'm certain to have enough for many masochistic
hours of fun. :eek:)

Okay. I get it. We'll stop. We won't even mention Enterprise Application
Patterns, or all the PLOP papers.

Besides, those are all Booooring.

Martijn Lievaart

Okay. I get it. We'll stop. We won't even mention Enterprise Application
Patterns, or all the PLOP papers.

Besides, those are all Booooring.

But less boring is "Antipatterns" by Brown e.a. Probably not what the OP
is looking for, but a good read anyway.

HTH,
M4