Design Patterns

Discussion in 'Python' started by Design Pattern Catalog, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Thank you for your interest in "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable
    Object-Oriented Design", by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson,
    and John Vlissides. This message answers several frequently asked
    questions.

    If you thought you were asking for the source code, you must have
    made a mistake. Please try again!

    The "pattern home page", with all this information and more, is at
    http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/patterns/patterns.html
    You can get the source code from there, too.

    There are several mailing lists dealing with patterns.
    is about the design patterns in our book.
    If you've got any questions about our patterns, please ask them there.
    For example, post errata there, or questions about how to implement
    Singleton.

    is for discussing patterns in general,
    i.e. for discussing how to find patterns, how to organize them, or the
    meaning of patterns, but not necessarily about particular patterns.
    It is pretty busy.

    is a place for presenting and describing software
    patterns. This is where you learn about new patterns. They don't have
    to be object-oriented or design patterns, though most of them are.
    It is not very busy, so it won't flood your mailbox.

    To subscribe to these, send e-mail to ,
    , or
    with the subject of "subscribe". Or, go to the patterns home page
    and see the page on mailing lists, which describes a bunch more and
    will automatically subscribe you.

    If you want permission to copy something from the book, you need to
    talk to Addison-Wesley, not us. Addison-Wesley has a copyright
    department. They will either just let you do it or charge you a
    small fee. If you are just copying a few pages for a few people,
    then it falls under "fair use" and is OK. I don't know what the limit
    is, though.

    There is an archive of pattern-related material available by anonymous
    ftp from st.cs.uiuc.edu in /pub/patterns. In particular, the source
    code for our book is in /pub/patterns/dpcat. Try that if the mailer
    isn't returning the source code for you. It acts up a lot.

    If none of these solves your problem, you can send e-mail to
    . Otherwise, it might be a few months before
    your message is read.

    -Ralph
    Design Pattern Catalog, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Design Pattern Catalog

    Alan Kennedy Guest

    Design Pattern Catalog wrote:
    [Text of standard email removed]

    Hmm, we seem to getting a lot of "welcome subscriber" type emails to
    the list at the moment, on top of all the "virus in your mail" reports
    :-(

    Am I the only one who gets the feeling that some mal-adjusted person
    is after going to a wide range of sites and subscribing the python
    list email address to a lot of different subscription services?

    --
    alan kennedy
    Alan Kennedy, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Design Pattern Catalog

    John Roth Guest

    "Alan Kennedy" <> wrote in message
    > Design Pattern Catalog wrote:
    > [Text of standard email removed]
    >
    > Hmm, we seem to getting a lot of "welcome subscriber" type emails to
    > the list at the moment, on top of all the "virus in your mail" reports
    > :-(
    >
    > Am I the only one who gets the feeling that some mal-adjusted person
    > is after going to a wide range of sites and subscribing the python
    > list email address to a lot of different subscription services?

    You may be the only one. I suspect the rest of us are simply
    chalking it up to the latest mass mailer worm.

    John Roth

    John Roth, Aug 22, 2003