First glance at Design Patterns

Greg Curie

Hi

I have been a lurker in comp.lang.c for a while and have benefited from
reading many discussions.
There are some neat solutions to problems i have previously struggled with
and some neat solutions
to problems i have yet to bump into. Thanks for that.

Some recent postings, on what might be quite a long ongoing discussion, got
me to look into
the Design Patterns book by the Gang of Four... :)...

I have to say my first impression, after reading a lot of introduction and
background, and looking
at one of the first Patterns, was the immense similarity with Relational
Modelling.

I was influenced by relational ideas, starting many years ago. If i was
working on a program and
eventually allowed myself to go after a problem with a wider view, rather
than the one written
down in the specs, then relational thinking would have encouraged me to come
up with something
the same. Well, after a lot of thought, and perhaps after the
program/database was already in use.

I am more than a bit disappointed with the object-oriented books. They don't
seem to give credit
where credit is due and confuse the whole design issue further by insisting
that the relational
approach is quite different.

Anyway, i have just started with the Design Patterns book, and i decided to
commit an opinion
while i was still just at the early stages!

I'll let you know what i think as i get more into it...

thanks
greg c

Nick Keighley

Greg said:
[...]

the GoF book is very OO, so comp.lang.c may not be the best place to
discuss
it. Try comp.object