First glance at Design Patterns

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Greg Curie, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. Greg Curie

    Greg Curie Guest

    Hi

    I have been a lurker in comp.lang.c for a while and have benefited from
    reading many discussions.
    There are some neat solutions to problems i have previously struggled with
    and some neat solutions
    to problems i have yet to bump into. Thanks for that.

    Some recent postings, on what might be quite a long ongoing discussion, got
    me to look into
    the Design Patterns book by the Gang of Four... :)...

    I have to say my first impression, after reading a lot of introduction and
    background, and looking
    at one of the first Patterns, was the immense similarity with Relational
    Modelling.

    I was influenced by relational ideas, starting many years ago. If i was
    working on a program and
    eventually allowed myself to go after a problem with a wider view, rather
    than the one written
    down in the specs, then relational thinking would have encouraged me to come
    up with something
    the same. Well, after a lot of thought, and perhaps after the
    program/database was already in use.

    I am more than a bit disappointed with the object-oriented books. They don't
    seem to give credit
    where credit is due and confuse the whole design issue further by insisting
    that the relational
    approach is quite different.

    Anyway, i have just started with the Design Patterns book, and i decided to
    commit an opinion
    while i was still just at the early stages!

    I'll let you know what i think as i get more into it...

    thanks
    greg c
    Greg Curie, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Greg Curie wrote:

    > I have been a lurker in comp.lang.c for a while and have benefited from
    > reading many discussions.
    > There are some neat solutions to problems i have previously struggled with
    > and some neat solutions
    > to problems i have yet to bump into. Thanks for that.
    >
    > Some recent postings, on what might be quite a long ongoing discussion, got
    > me to look into
    > the Design Patterns book by the Gang of Four... :)...
    >
    > I have to say my first impression, after reading a lot of introduction and
    > background, and looking
    > at one of the first Patterns, was the immense similarity with Relational
    > Modelling.
    >
    > I was influenced by relational ideas, starting many years ago. If i was
    > working on a program and
    > eventually allowed myself to go after a problem with a wider view, rather
    > than the one written
    > down in the specs, then relational thinking would have encouraged me to come
    > up with something
    > the same. Well, after a lot of thought, and perhaps after the
    > program/database was already in use.
    >
    > I am more than a bit disappointed with the object-oriented books. They don't
    > seem to give credit
    > where credit is due and confuse the whole design issue further by insisting
    > that the relational
    > approach is quite different.
    >
    > Anyway, i have just started with the Design Patterns book, and i decided to
    > commit an opinion
    > while i was still just at the early stages!
    >
    > I'll let you know what i think as i get more into it...

    the GoF book is very OO, so comp.lang.c may not be the best place to
    discuss
    it. Try comp.object

    --
    Nick Keighley