designing switch

hema

hiii alll,
i want to design a switch controller on fpga,and the switch fabric is a
shared memory type.I am confused how to code in vhdl to bring out the
functionality of the switch learning MAC addresses.please let me know
if anyone knows.the switch is initially designed with 4 ports.i don't
know how much memory to be allocated for the buffer ????how do i
implement shared memory concept in fpga??

regards,
hema.

Mike Treseler

hema said:
i want to design a switch controller on fpga,and the switch fabric is a
shared memory type.I am confused how to code in vhdl to bring out the
functionality of the switch learning MAC addresses.please let me know
if anyone knows.the switch is initially designed with 4 ports.i don't
know how much memory to be allocated for the buffer ????how do i
implement shared memory concept in fpga??

If this an educational project,
consider something simpler to
start with.

If this is a commercial venture,