    alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
    experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
    dhtml encompass?

    Laura Williams, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Laura Williams

    rf Guest

    Laura Williams

    > I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
    > alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
    > experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
    > dhtml encompass?

    dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to manipulate
    the HTML elements through the DOM.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Laura Williams

    RobG Guest

    rf wrote:
    [...]
    > dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to manipulate
    > the HTML elements through the DOM.

    It encompasses CSS as well, there is a good starter tutorial here:

    <URL:http://www.w3schools.com/dhtml/default.asp>

    w3schools are not authoritative and a bit Microsoft centric, but OK to
    get started with and a handy reference.

    Mind the pop-unders!!

    Rob.

    RobG, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Laura Williams

    Evertjan. Guest

    rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to
    > manipulate the HTML elements through the DOM.

    ... or any other clientside scripting language understood by the browser,
    like VBscript in the IE.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 23, 2004
  5. Laura Williams

    rf Guest

    Evertjan wrote:
    > rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > > dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to
    > > manipulate the HTML elements through the DOM.

    > .. or any other clientside scripting language understood by the browser,
    > like VBscript in the IE.

    True but VBscript is hardly a web viable solution :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Laura Williams

    Evertjan. Guest

    rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > Evertjan wrote:
    >> rf wrote on 23 nov 2004 in comp.lang.javascript:

    >> > dhtml is a microsoft invented word. It means using javascript to
    >> > manipulate the HTML elements through the DOM.

    >> .. or any other clientside scripting language understood by the browser,
    >> like VBscript in the IE.

    > True but VBscript is hardly a web viable solution :)

    I understand that, like the :).

    In "It means using javascript" however "javascript" is beside the point.
    I would say "It means using clientside scripting".

    Not all browser work is for the general web.
    Some pages, where I manage my own online databases, are just for my own or
    my clients's webmaster's use, and I whidely use DOM there. Restricting
    these to IE6 use simplifies coding and I could use VBS there.

    But I like javascript coding both clientside and serverside [ASP].

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 23, 2004
  7. Laura Williams

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
    > alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
    > experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
    > dhtml encompass?

    DHTML is a generic term and not everyone agrees on what the meaning really
    is. It's an umbrella term for client-side scripting.
    A bunch of stuff fits in there, as long as it runs client-side. ActiveX,
    javascript, java applets, vbscript...
    Most popular is javascript, since it works in the most browsers.

    Note that "javascript" is one word, not 2. Small difference, really, but
    using two words implies that it is a script written in the Java language,
    which is totally *isn't*. Java is completely different from javascript.

    ~kaeli~
    The more ridiculous a belief system, the higher probability
    of its success.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Laura Williams

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Laura Williams" <> wrote in message
    > I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
    > alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
    > experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
    > dhtml encompass?

    According to some text books:
    html (or xhtml) + css + javascript are the technologies used for dhtml

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Nov 24, 2004
  9. Laura Williams

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Hal Rosser wrote:

    > "Laura Williams" <> wrote in message
    > > I am currently familiar with html and a little java script. I hear
    > > alot of talk about dhtml and dhtml scripts from web programming
    > > experts. I am just wondering exactly what programming languages does
    > > dhtml encompass?

    > According to some text books:
    > html (or xhtml) + css + javascript are the technologies used for dhtml

    Since Microsoft coined the term, we should probably ask them what DHTML
    means:

    <url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/dhtml.asp />

    "Dynamic HTML (DHTML) is a set of innovative features in Microsoft
    Internet Explorer 4.0. By enabling authors to dynamically change the
    rendering and content of a document, DHTML gives authors the ability to
    create visually outstanding HTML documents that interact with the user,
    without the burden of relying on server-side programs or complicated sets
    of HTML pages to achieve special effects."

    The rest of us would probably refer to this as "client-side scripting of
    the user agent DOM (Document Object Model)".

    Microsoft came close to this definition here <url:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/clientcaps/overview.asp />:
    "...Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 exposed client capabilities as
    properties through the Dynamic HTML (DHTML) Object Model..."

    --
    Grant Wagner <>

    Grant Wagner, Nov 24, 2004
  10. Laura Williams

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > > According to some text books:
    > > html (or xhtml) + css + javascript are the technologies used for dhtml

    > Since Microsoft coined the term, we should probably ask them what DHTML
    > means:
    >
    > <url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/dhtml.asp />
    >
    > "Dynamic HTML (DHTML) is a set of innovative features in Microsoft
    > Internet Explorer 4.0. By enabling authors to dynamically change the
    > rendering and content of a document, DHTML gives authors the ability to
    > create visually outstanding HTML documents that interact with the user,
    > without the burden of relying on server-side programs or complicated sets
    > of HTML pages to achieve special effects."
    >
    > The rest of us would probably refer to this as "client-side scripting of
    > the user agent DOM (Document Object Model)".

    yeah - ( html + javascript + css) - I just used fewer words.

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Nov 25, 2004