Did MSFT pull a fast one? Partly OT

Roland Hall

I stated to someone in a different post, perhaps different NG, that since I
have 3rd party cookies blocked in IE and after a recent windows security
update, ads with 3rd party cookies do not load the page.

This is the link I went to:
http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=141

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

a.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
it is spelled correctly.

b.. Open the ad.doubleclick.net home page, and then look for links
to the information you want.
c.. Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP 404 - File not found

Now I don't even get the ad at all! I'm overwhelmed and my processor
is as happy as a pig on a rainy day.

I've found other pages breaking, like webopedia, but not sure if it is
related. Can anyone confirm this? I'm wondering if anything else is being
disabled/ignored as if someone were to block first party cookies, session
cookies, etc. or is it even tied to cookies?

I'm seeing this on too many web sites but it also happens with Firefox. Now
I don't know what to think.
I'll buy the insanity possibility or a vast right-wing conspiracy but surely
I'm not the only one experiencing this.
I hope it's too much to hope that all the ad service companies are down.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Adrienne

[...]

Actually, I see this all the time, but that's because my hosts file does
not allow going to pages like that. I really like that a lot, have had no
problems with nasty cookies, big ad images, etc.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Pegasus Mail, Xnews, and
I use the hosts file recommended at
<http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>. I also block third party
cookies. I also edited my 404 page and mine says "Doh! The website cannot
be found". I haven't had a virus or spyware issue in over a year.

Roland Hall

in message
: Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere>
: writing in :
: > I stated to someone in a different post, perhaps different NG, that
: > since I have 3rd party cookies blocked in IE and after a recent windows
: > security update, ads with 3rd party cookies do not load the page.
: >
: > This is the link I went to:
: > http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=141
: >
: > The page cannot be found
: > The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its
: > name
: > changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
: >
: > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
: > --
: >
: > Please try the following:
: >
:
: Actually, I see this all the time, but that's because my hosts file does
: not allow going to pages like that. I really like that a lot, have had no
: problems with nasty cookies, big ad images, etc.
:
: I use Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Pegasus Mail, Xnews, and
: I use the hosts file recommended at
: <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>. I also block third party
: cookies. I also edited my 404 page and mine says "Doh! The website cannot
: be found". I haven't had a virus or spyware issue in over a year.

Thanks for responding and thanks for the link...

It must have been the SpySweeper update that added the slew of entries in my
hosts file. That came at about the same time. I had been cleaning systems
for others quite a bit lately but I never get spyware. I don't accept 3rd
party cookies, prompt for 1st party, keep my defenses updated and accept
only plain text email. I personally have only been infected once in 25
years. Stoned virus on a floppy at a law firm in the early 90s. Typical.

Ok, I take back all the praise for MSFT. I was getting excited IE was
getting some attention. I should have known better.