Did MSFT pull a fast one? Partly OT

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Roland Hall, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    I stated to someone in a different post, perhaps different NG, that since I
    have 3rd party cookies blocked in IE and after a recent windows security
    update, ads with 3rd party cookies do not load the page.

    This is the link I went to:
    http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=141

    The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
    changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

    Please try the following:

    a.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
    it is spelled correctly.

    b.. Open the ad.doubleclick.net home page, and then look for links
    to the information you want.
    c.. Click the Back button to try another link.
    HTTP 404 - File not found

    Now I don't even get the ad at all! I'm overwhelmed and my processor
    is as happy as a pig on a rainy day.

    I've found other pages breaking, like webopedia, but not sure if it is
    related. Can anyone confirm this? I'm wondering if anything else is being
    disabled/ignored as if someone were to block first party cookies, session
    cookies, etc. or is it even tied to cookies?

    I'm seeing this on too many web sites but it also happens with Firefox. Now
    I don't know what to think.
    I'll buy the insanity possibility or a vast right-wing conspiracy but surely
    I'm not the only one experiencing this.
    I hope it's too much to hope that all the ad service companies are down.

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Roland Hall

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere>
    writing in news::

    > I stated to someone in a different post, perhaps different NG, that
    > since I have 3rd party cookies blocked in IE and after a recent windows
    > security update, ads with 3rd party cookies do not load the page.
    >
    > This is the link I went to:
    > http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=141
    >
    > The page cannot be found
    > The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its
    > name
    > changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

    > Please try the following:
    >
    > a.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure
    > that
    > it is spelled correctly.
    >
    > b.. Open the ad.doubleclick.net home page, and then look for
    > links
    > to the information you want.
    > c.. Click the Back button to try another link.
    > HTTP 404 - File not found
    >
    > Now I don't even get the ad at all! I'm overwhelmed and my
    > processor
    > is as happy as a pig on a rainy day.
    >

    > I've found other pages breaking, like webopedia, but not sure if it is
    > related. Can anyone confirm this? I'm wondering if anything else is
    > being disabled/ignored as if someone were to block first party cookies,
    > session cookies, etc. or is it even tied to cookies?
    >
    > I'm seeing this on too many web sites but it also happens with Firefox.
    > Now I don't know what to think.
    > I'll buy the insanity possibility or a vast right-wing conspiracy but
    > surely I'm not the only one experiencing this.
    > I hope it's too much to hope that all the ad service companies are
    > down.

    Actually, I see this all the time, but that's because my hosts file does
    not allow going to pages like that. I really like that a lot, have had no
    problems with nasty cookies, big ad images, etc.

    I use Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Pegasus Mail, Xnews, and
    I use the hosts file recommended at
    <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>. I also block third party
    cookies. I also edited my 404 page and mine says "Doh! The website cannot
    be found". I haven't had a virus or spyware issue in over a year.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : > I stated to someone in a different post, perhaps different NG, that
    : > since I have 3rd party cookies blocked in IE and after a recent windows
    : > security update, ads with 3rd party cookies do not load the page.
    : >
    : > This is the link I went to:
    : > http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=141
    : >
    : > The page cannot be found
    : > The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its
    : > name
    : > changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
    : >
    : > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    : > --
    : >
    : > Please try the following:
    : >
[...]

    Thanks for responding and thanks for the link...

    It must have been the SpySweeper update that added the slew of entries in my
    hosts file. That came at about the same time. I had been cleaning systems
    for others quite a bit lately but I never get spyware. I don't accept 3rd
    party cookies, prompt for 1st party, keep my defenses updated and accept
    only plain text email. I personally have only been infected once in 25
    years. Stoned virus on a floppy at a law firm in the early 90s. Typical.

    Ok, I take back all the praise for MSFT. I was getting excited IE was
    getting some attention. I should have known better.

    Roland Hall, Feb 22, 2005