    applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
    window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
    make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

    Johnny Ruin, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Johnny Ruin wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have two machines running windows 2000, IE 6, and JRE 1.4.2_11. One
    > loads and displays my applet just fine. The other one has problems
    > refreshing or redrawing. For example, when I open a dialog on the
    > applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
    > window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
    > make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

    It can be a combination of many things, mostly to do with the os or the
    browser. thats where you need to look, some sort of difference it
    their setups.

    /tom

    tom fredriksen, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Johnny Ruin

    Vova Reznik Guest

    Johnny Ruin wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have two machines running windows 2000, IE 6, and JRE 1.4.2_11. One
    > loads and displays my applet just fine. The other one has problems
    > refreshing or redrawing. For example, when I open a dialog on the
    > applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
    > window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
    > make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

    I may be DirectX problem.
    Try "dxdiag".

    Vova Reznik, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Johnny Ruin

    Timo Stamm Guest

    Johnny Ruin schrieb:
    > Hi,
    > I have two machines running windows 2000, IE 6, and JRE 1.4.2_11. One
    > loads and displays my applet just fine. The other one has problems
    > refreshing or redrawing. For example, when I open a dialog on the
    > applet the controls on the dialog won't draw until I resize the dialog
    > window. But on the other machine all is fine. Does this behavior
    > make sense to anyone? Any suggestions on tests I might try?

    In most cases I heard of something like this, it was a graphics card
    driver that was not up to date.

    Timo Stamm, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Johnny Ruin

    Johnny Ruin Guest

    Hi everyone,

    Thank you for your excellent suggestions. I'm working now, although
    the way I got there was rather unsatisfying. Here's my story.

    I ran Windows Update and it said there was a update for my
    'ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES - Secondary'. I took it, rebooted only to
    get a bunch of Hardware Wizard things on reboot. I ended up selecting
    'reinstall driver' for a bunch of stuff (ati audio, ati codecs).
    Reboot and tested my applet - same problem.

    Then I download DirectX9 and ran dxdiag - no problems reported.
    Applet still had the same problem.

    Next I changed my video mode from 1280x1024, 32bit color with fonts
    scaled to 150% to 1024x768 using 16-bit color and large fonts. The
    applet worked. "Ah-hah", I thought. I'll just change those things
    back one by one and find the problem. I changed each one
    individually, testing in-between. The problem never returned.

    So, in the end I don't really know what the problem was. But I'm glad
    to be working. Thank you.

    Johnny Ruin, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Johnny Ruin

    Guest

    I think I saw this before and posted under the topic "FileDialog does
    not draw itself" but looks like I left the fix out. It was a startup
    flag to tell java not to use 3d graphics or graphics optimization or
    something like that.

    Cheers,
    TimJowers

    , Mar 15, 2006