disable or disappear window's close button (JSP)

Vijaya

I need to force the user to click the sign out button to close the
window, that's cause i need to kill his session and when i do that on
the onload of the body sometimes don't execute the method (javascript)
that goes to the servlet that kill the session.

Even if there is an server side event in Java, that will also be
helpful. I am using Tomcat as the server.

Andrew Thompson

Vijaya wrote:

Hi Vijaya, there is no such group as..
comp.lang.java.javascript, you may have confused
it with comp.lang.javascript - a seperate language
to Java.
I need to force the user to click the sign out button to close the
window,

Easy. Stand beside them with a
loaded gun. Say "Close that, and
I'll shoot you". ;-)
..that's cause i need to kill his session

...a 'men only' site?

There are probably good ways to
achieve what you want, but you are
pursuing the wrong strategy if it ever
depends on actions by the user.

Any such strategy *will* *fail*.

[ And btw - anything involving JavaScript
cannot be relied upon either. ]

riotctrl

As an idea... an Onunload call might work to close the session also if they
close the window down.

Tony Morris

riotctrl said:
As an idea... an Onunload call might work to close the session also if they
close the window down.

Impossible.
There is no way to force a client to close their session - and to rely on
such behaviour is a flawed approach.
If you want to handle the case of a session closing (either manually or
timing out), see javax.servlet.http.HttpSessionListener.

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)