disable session timeout for session bean

June

Is it possible to disable the timeout for a statefull session bean?

I want to make this session bean to live as long as client won't logout.
So if client logins in and do nothing this session will be there..

Oliver Wong

June said:
Is it possible to disable the timeout for a statefull session bean?

I want to make this session bean to live as long as client won't logout.
So if client logins in and do nothing this session will be there..

You could try setting the lifetime of the session to 80 (million) years.
That's about equivalent for most intents and purposes.

- Oliver

June

Thanks, Oliver

If the client logs out by mistake say you accidently turn off
the pc, the session will be alive for the rest of my life as long
as I don't shutdown the server?

June

Oliver Wong

June said:
Thanks, Oliver

If the client logs out by mistake say you accidently turn off
the pc, the session will be alive for the rest of my life as long
as I don't shutdown the server?

Depends on how the session is implemented. If it's implemented via
cookies, then the session can "disappear" if the client deletes or otherwise
doesn't send the cookie. Otherwise, it should last as long as the server
"remembers" open sessions. On the systems I'm familiar with, the sessions
are usually persisted to harddisk, so as long as the harddisk doesn't get
corrupted, the session should still be around.

- Oliver

Alfred

Oliver said:
Depends on how the session is implemented. If it's implemented via
cookies, then the session can "disappear" if the client deletes or otherwise
doesn't send the cookie. Otherwise, it should last as long as the server
"remembers" open sessions. On the systems I'm familiar with, the sessions
are usually persisted to harddisk, so as long as the harddisk doesn't get
corrupted, the session should still be around.

Are you shure about difference between Web- and EJB-Container?
Lifecycle Management of SessionBean is a part of EJB-Container.

Alfred

Oliver Wong

Alfred said:
Are you shure about difference between Web- and EJB-Container?
Lifecycle Management of SessionBean is a part of EJB-Container.

I'm not (sure, that is). I haven't worked much with JSPs at all, and my
experiences are mostly with PHP. I noticed that the way they handle sessions
seemed (as far as I could see) to be similar, so I thought it was safe for
me to dispense my advice.

- Oliver

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Oliver said:
I'm not (sure, that is). I haven't worked much with JSPs at all, and my
experiences are mostly with PHP. I noticed that the way they handle sessions
seemed (as far as I could see) to be similar, so I thought it was safe for
me to dispense my advice.

Even though it is very common to use:

browser----JSP/servlet----EJB----database

then it could be:

Swing app----EJB----database

EJB's does not speak HTTP and does not use cookies/URL rewriting.

JSP pages and servlets does.

Arne