Distribute asp.net 2003 application on a cd rom

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sms1973@earthlink.net, May 12, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I have built an application web site using ASP.NET 2003 and MSSQL
    database server.
    I now need to distribute the entire application to customers on a CD
    to run the web application completely from their local personal
    computers. In other words, they will not need to access the Internet
    to run the application.
    I know I can use the redistributable MSSQL EMMSDE for the database
    part, but my problem is that I want users to run the site from the CD
    rom.
    questions:
    1) Can I run a web server from the CD that supports asp.net code and
    dlls?
    2) If not, is it possible to install the asp.net application on the
    user's computer and ship with it a personal web server that would
    support my application?

    I know I can probably convert the .net webforms into windows forms,
    but that will take awhile as I heavily used web functionality for my
    application.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Seever

    , May 12, 2008

  2. re:
    !> 1) Can I run a web server from the CD that supports asp.net code and dlls?

    Yes.

    You can use ( although a bit pricey ) DWebPro or Stunnix to do that :

    http://www.dwebpro.com/

    http://www.stunnix.com/prod/aws/run-asp.net-from-cdrom-or-usb.shtml

    With both of these you'll need to pre-compile your app.
    That's because you don't want to jit-compile dlls to an ASP.NET temp dir.

    re:
    !> is it possible to install the asp.net application on the user's computer
    !> and ship with it a personal web server that would support my application?

    Also, yes.

    The client will need to have the .Net Framework 2.0
    installed on the system which will run the website.

    WebDev.WebServer.exe (the ASP.NET Development Web Server executable) is located in :
    Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

    Copy that file to the client and run a batch file to start the webserver.

    Here's an example batch file which shows you how to start the
    ASP.NET Development Web Server from the command-line:

    start /b webdev.webserver /port:1544 /path:"c:\AppDir"

    The directory where WebDev.WebServer.exe is copied to must be in the computer's path,
    or you must include the full path to the executable in the batch file.

    You can use any port you want and any application path you want.
    You must have previously copied your application's files to the "AppDir" directory, of course.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 12, 2008

  3. Have a look at Bart DeSmet's article here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/belux/msdn/nl/community/columns/desmet/hostaspnet1.mspx

    --Peter

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], May 12, 2008
  4. Peter,

    what I don't like about that is that it requires registering Cassini in the GAC.

    Essentially, if registering in the GAC is OK, I'd go for using Cassiniv2,
    which also requires registering in the GAC, but which is miles ahead
    of the original Cassini web server in terms of features.

    Direct link to the Cassiniv2 source files:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dmitryr/attachment/548131.ashx

    You also need the v2.0 version of GACUTIL which is installed with VWD Express,
    VS 2005 and the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK, in order to compile Cassiniv2.

    If this is the option selected, make sure to read
    the "ReadMe.txt" file included in the zipped source.

    Otherwise, if registering in the GAC is not acceptable,
    the other options I outlined in my previous reply will do.

    Juan T. Llibre, May 12, 2008