Div with borders only partially rendering

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lee, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hello all,

    I have an aspx page with a Div that holds a few controls such as
    textbox and combo box. I use this same setup on several other pages
    with no problem. For one page in particular, the borders around the
    div are not rendered correctly and I am having a pickel of a time
    figuring out why.

    Like so:

    |-------------------------------|
    | |
    | |
    | |

    As you can see from the crude example above, only a portion of the
    "box" is rendered. Rest of side borders and bottom border not being
    rendered.

    *Only with IE*: This happens only in IE. Firefox 1.06 renders it as it
    should be.

    I have looked through the page source several times and I can't see
    what the problem is. I have tried setting the properties for the Div
    directly through Style prperty and by using CSS file with both giving
    the same results.

    Any suggestions or points on where to look would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    --
    Warm Regards,
    Lee

    "Upon further investigation it appears that your software is missing
    just one thing. It definitely needs more cow bell..."

    Lee, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Lee

    Bruce Barker Guest

    generally this is bad markup or dangling tags. add the tidy extension to
    firefox, and have it validate your html.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Dec 5, 2005

  3. Lee

    Patrice Guest

    Get the HTML and simplify until it works...

    Patrice, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Bruce Barker enlightened me by writing:

    > generally this is bad markup or dangling tags. add the tidy extension
    > to firefox, and have it validate your html.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Hi, thanks for responding. I have downloaded the extension (great tool
    btw) and it shows the same warnings that other pages in my site show;
    hidden fields placed by asp.net.

    Here is the curious thing: if I load the page, it does not render the
    div, all other controls are rendered as they should be. However, if I
    shut down cassini (or whatever they're calling it these days), IE will
    actually then render the div correctly.

    IE says "Done" in lower left hand corner however when the page is
    loaded.

    I have included source below for your review.

    --
    Warm Regards,
    Lee

    "Upon further investigation it appears that your software is missing
    just one thing. It definitely needs more cow bell..."

    <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false"
    CodeFile="choose_cardholder.aspx.vb" Inherits="choose_cardholder" %>

    <%@ Register Src="page_header.ascx" TagName="page_header"
    TagPrefix="uc1" %>

    <head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    <link href="styles/StyleSheetMerchant.css" rel="stylesheet"
    type="text/css" />
    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <uc1:page_header ID="Page_header1" runat="server" />

    thin solid; z-index: 100;
    left: 16px; border-left: blue thin solid; width: 760px;
    border-bottom: blue thin solid;
    position: absolute; top: 128px; height: 400px">
    &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="ValSearchReq"
    runat="server" ControlToValidate="txtSearch"
    CssClass="ErrorLabel"
    ErrorMessage="RequiredFieldValidator" style="z-index: 100; left: 168px;
    position: absolute; top: 88px">Search Value is
    Required</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>
    &nbsp;
    <asp:Button ID="bSearch" runat="server"
    CssClass="LabelBody" Height="24px" Text="Search" Width="56px"
    style="z-index: 101; left: 632px; position: absolute; top: 80px" />
    <asp:GridView ID="gvCustomers" runat="server"
    AllowPaging="True" AutoGenerateSelectButton="True"
    CssClass="MerchGrid" Height="1px" style="z-index: 102;
    left: 8px; top: 120px" Width="680px" >
    <RowStyle CssClass="MerchGridDataRows" />
    <SelectedRowStyle CssClass="MerchGridSelectedRow" />
    <HeaderStyle CssClass="MerchGridHeader" />
    </asp:GridView>
    <asp:Button ID="bExit" runat="server"
    CausesValidation="False" style="z-index: 103; left: 632px; position:
    absolute; top: 368px" Text="Exit" Width="48px" />
    <asp:Button ID="bEdit" runat="server" style="z-index: 104;
    left: 520px; position: absolute; top: 368px" Text="Edit" Width="48px" />
    <asp:Button ID="bNew" runat="server"
    CausesValidation="False" style="z-index: 111; left: 576px; position:
    absolute; top: 368px" Text="New" Width="48px" />
    <asp:DropDownList ID="cboSearchType" runat="server"
    AutoPostBack="True" CssClass="LabelBody" style="z-index: 106; left:
    8px; position: absolute; top: 56px">
    <asp:ListItem>Card Number</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>Member Last Name</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>Member Phone</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:DropDownList>
    <asp:Label ID="lblError" runat="server"
    CssClass="ErrorLabel" Text="Label" Visible="False" Width="168px"
    style="z-index: 107; left: 168px; position: absolute; top:
    88px"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtSearch" runat="server"
    CssClass="LabelBody" style="z-index: 108; left: 8px; position:
    absolute; top: 88px"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server"
    CssClass="LabelHeader1" Text="Choose Card Holder" Width="192px"
    style="z-index: 109; left: 8px; position: absolute; top:
    8px"></asp:Label>
    <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" CssClass="LabelBody"
    Text="Search By" Width="104px" style="z-index: 110; left: 8px;
    position: absolute; top: 32px"></asp:Label>
    </form>

    Lee, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Lee enlightened me by writing:

    > Here is the curious thing: if I load the page, it does not render the
    > div, all other controls are rendered as they should be. However, if I
    > shut down cassini (or whatever they're calling it these days), IE will
    > actually then render the div correctly.
    >
    > IE says "Done" in lower left hand corner however when the page is
    > loaded.
    >
    > I have included source below for your review.

    BTW, I have tested this on IIS on a Win2K box and get the same beavior
    when I shut down the web service.

    Lee, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Lee enlightened me by writing:

    > Bruce Barker enlightened me by writing:
    >
    > > generally this is bad markup or dangling tags. add the tidy
    > > extension to firefox, and have it validate your html.
    > >
    > > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    > >

    > Here is the curious thing: if I load the page, it does not render the
    > div, all other controls are rendered as they should be. However, if I
    > shut down cassini (or whatever they're calling it these days), IE will
    > actually then render the div correctly.
    >
    > IE says "Done" in lower left hand corner however when the page is
    > loaded.

    Correction. I do not have to shut down the webserver, just minimize
    and restore IE (invalidate the window basically) and the DIV then
    renders.

    Lee, Dec 5, 2005
  7. Lee

    Guest

    Wow... first off remove that style="" stuff. *Never* put things in
    there, this is why I jumped on .NET 2.0 in the earrrrrrrrly stages.

    , Dec 6, 2005
  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    enlightened me by writing:

    > Wow... first off remove that style="" stuff. Never put things in
    > there, this is why I jumped on .NET 2.0 in the earrrrrrrrly stages.

    Yes, you are right. All that individual styling will be taken out once
    the app is done being written. I every element style will be put into
    a separate CSS sheet by a graphics person.

    I put the individual styling there for deving the app so pages are
    easier for me to work with, in theory anyway. ;)

    Lee, Dec 6, 2005