Dive Into Java?

Steve Holden

Any? Don't people plan June weddings thinking the weather
will be nice? And isn't one of the defintions of irony when
things turn out the opposite of what you expect?
But rain at a June wedding isn't truly ironic since it isn't the result
of the planners' actions.

It would be ironic if I chose to get married in June and then all the
people I invited instead chose to attend a conference because I wasn't
going to be there.

regards
Steve

Theerasak Photha

But rain at a June wedding isn't truly ironic since it isn't the result
of the planners' actions.

It would be ironic if I chose to get married in June and then all the
people I invited instead chose to attend a conference because I wasn't
going to be there.

Better yet: plan an elaborate wedding and fly to Europe (or America if
in Europe) when the wedding is set to take place.

Whee!!

-- Theerasak

Ben Finney

Theerasak Photha said:
I hate June. June sucks. Blindly following some Roman custom relating
to Juno (the real reason why people have June weddings)

Well, our traditions and ceremonies in the anti-podes (thanks SteveH)
are very Euro-centric; but we still have our weddings in the hot
months of November through February, so Juno has nothing to do with
it. I think it's nothing more than the expectation that the weather
will be clear.
I may be brown, but this time of the year in the Northern Hemisphere
when the weather is chilly but not intolerable, and one can read by
the moonlight is, OTOH, teh win.

Preach it, brother.

Theerasak Photha

I believe they are reputed to have a sense of humor.

Some of jokes I have heard on BBC World Service bordered on the
unprofessional. :)

After the big tsunami, one of the announcers mentioned that "we've
been getting a *flood* of e-mail" only to check himself a few moments
later.

Black humor, if I ever heard it. LOL!

-- Theerasak

Theerasak Photha

Well, our traditions and ceremonies in the anti-podes (thanks SteveH)
are very Euro-centric; but we still have our weddings in the hot
months of November through February, so Juno has nothing to do with
it. I think it's nothing more than the expectation that the weather
will be clear.

I'm positive on very few things, but I am certain that the Western
wedding custom for favoring June has to do with Juno. (That and it's
Woden's Day here in EST time zone as I write.)

Back in those days, the Roman bride wore some kind of knotted leather
thingie to the wedding. Interesting...

-- Theerasak

Ant

Brian van den Broek wrote:
A quick check with the on-line text of the second edition of the
Oxford English Dictionary (sadly, a link only available by
subscription) gives as the first meaning:

If we're going to start using dictionary definitions, then I claim that
the following joke is truly ironic:

An old blacksmith relized he was soon going to quit working so hard. He
picked out a strong young man to become his apprentice. The old fellow
was crabby and exacting. "Don't ask me a lot of questions," he told the
boy. "Just do whatever I tell you to do." One day the old blacksmith
took an iron out of the forge and laid it on the anvil. "Get the hammer
over there," he said. "When I nod my head, hit it real good and hard."
Now the town is looking for a new blacksmith.

i‧ron‧ic  /aɪˈrɒnɪk/ Pronunciation[ahy-ron-ik]
–adjective
1. containing or exemplifying irony: an ironic novel; an ironic remark.

i‧ron‧y2  /ˈaɪərni/ Pronunciation[ahy-er-nee]
–adjective
consisting of, containing, or resembling iron.

;-)

(In fact it is ironic in another more conventional sense:

i‧ro‧ny1  /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Pronunciation[ahy-ruh-nee,
ahy-er-]
–noun, plural -nies.
5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been,
expected. )

Grant Edwards

Irony need not have anything to do with the meaning and intent of the
speaker. Indeed, irony can occur when there is no communication at
all; an ironic outcome does not require anyone to have said or
communicated anything.

What source do you have for Morissette saying that?

I read it on some english-usage web site -- I wouldn't regard
it as very authoritative in regards to the Alanis Morisette
quote.

Grant Edwards

Any? Don't people plan June weddings thinking the weather
will be nice? And isn't one of the defintions of irony when
things turn out the opposite of what you expect?

Not really, no.

Grant Edwards

American Heritage Dictionary:
irony: 4. Incongruity between what might be expected to happen
and what actually occurs.

Yup, you're right. That seems to be a usage frowned upon by
old-school types, but it appears to have become common enough
that it's made it into dictionaries.

Bjoern Schliessmann

Diez said:
Yes. You can for example create a constructor for object Foo,
which then is implicitly chosen when assigning an int to a
variable of that kind. So it acts as a casting operator. I call
that wicked, and subtle.

class Foo {
int _arg;
public:
Foo(int arg) {
_arg = arg;
}
};

int main() {
Foo f = 10;
}

Just looks like Java's

String spam = "eggs";
Who cares for the reason - it is there, isn't it? You are the one
claiming that a new language should get rid of old concepts, btw.

Is C++ new? :) IIRC it's well 10 years older than Java, and that's
quite a lot in IT. Apart from this, Java is constantly evolving
(through Sun), where C++ is quite a standard since <= 1998.
Where is your money, and where your mouth?

I'm not discussing for money ;)
That is a matter of taste - but in the same way, we could argue
about C++ and C, can't we?
ACK.
I don't understand that.

If I'd like to write a class that is interface compatible to Java's
String, so e.g. that I can use it with "+" operator or the
simplified construction (String a = "b";).
So what? Since when is compiler optimization a bad thing?

I don't offense compiler optimization, but the clunkiness of
those "special rules for String only" additions.
What do you think happens all the time when mixing types in C++?

Mh, surely no convenience substitution in the sources for one class
only.
And I know of some very elaborated schemes called "common base
class idiom" for e.g. template-based vector classes to introduce
allocation optimization to arithmetic expressions in C++.

I don't ;) Too high for me.
The code _generated_ by the java compiler, and the C++ compiler,
is not the issue here.

Full ACK. (perhaps we were misunderstanding each other)
and in C++, you can do:

char *a = "1";
char *b = "2";
char *c = a + b;

But with a totally different, unexpected outcome.. I know where
*I* start laughing here.

Mh, in other languages you also *can* do stupid things. I'm thinking
about weird Python class designs. But Python's lack of private
variables isn't bad just because of this, is it?
The way is not awkward, it is called auto-boxing/unboxing and
works very well.

But it looks weird. Why not use classes for basic types? Is
performance really the reason? It kind of splits the language
style.
And this is more than matched by the subtle differences between

Foo a;
Foo &a;
Foo *a;

I don't think that's too subtle. But, perhaps, just because I'm used
to C++. It has a little bit too many compatibility features.

But I'd rather like to have several options than being forced in one
way.

Regards,

Björn

Diez B. Roggisch

Bjoern said:
Just looks like Java's

String spam = "eggs";

You don't seem to understand what is happening here. The fact that
string literals in java exist has nothing to do with an implicit type
casting as above example shows.

Is C++ new? :) IIRC it's well 10 years older than Java, and that's
quite a lot in IT. Apart from this, Java is constantly evolving
(through Sun), where C++ is quite a standard since <= 1998.

C++ was new, nobody forced them to keep pointers around.
If I'd like to write a class that is interface compatible to Java's
String, so e.g. that I can use it with "+" operator or the
simplified construction (String a = "b";).

That isn't possible with python, too. It _is_ possible with C++, yes, as
my own example above shows, but at the cost of complex semantics.

And the +-operator can be used when you have a toString-method.
I don't offense compiler optimization, but the clunkiness of
those "special rules for String only" additions.

Python has those clunky rules as well as C++ - or don't you write
character literals like

"abcd"

in C++ as well? Where exactly is that clunky?

But it looks weird. Why not use classes for basic types? Is
performance really the reason? It kind of splits the language
style.

For the same reason ints and floats aren't objects _internally_ in C++
as well - optimization. C++ did go a better way here by treating ints as
objects syntactically, but the distinction is most of the times removed
from java as well since 1.5.
And this is more than matched by the subtle differences between

I don't think that's too subtle. But, perhaps, just because I'm used
to C++. It has a little bit too many compatibility features.

But I'd rather like to have several options than being forced in one
way.

But choices let you make more errors - which was my point from the
beginning: java is a limited language, and I don't like it too much. But
it makes it hard to do things wrong. C++ makes it hard to make them right.

Diez

Bjoern Schliessmann

Diez said:
You don't seem to understand what is happening here. The fact that
string literals in java exist has nothing to do with an implicit
type casting as above example shows.

Whoops. "10", arg and _arg /are/ integers, right?
C++ was new, nobody forced them to keep pointers around.

For compatibility reasons to C it seems quite necessary.

[interface compatibility to String]
That isn't possible with python, too.

No? Mh, perhaps it's too late for my brain tonight ;)
Python has those clunky rules as well as C++ - or don't you write
character literals like

"abcd"

in C++ as well? Where exactly is that clunky?

IMHO, that only for String class

String spam = "eggs";

works (in Java).
But choices let you make more errors - which was my point from the
beginning: java is a limited language, and I don't like it too
much. But it makes it hard to do things wrong. C++ makes it hard
to make them right.

I agree. *If* one is an absolute beginner with programming. C++ may
have too many weird options in places where Java has one possible
solution.

Regards,

Björn