Dll reference in Web Application Projects

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by drop, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. drop

    drop Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to figure out how references works in Web Application
    Projects. We have a third party dll that we use in many projects. I've
    created a folder containing that DLL. That way, when we want to update
    the DLL, we simply have to update it in that folder and it should
    normally be distributed to all the project that have references to it,
    and since it will be in our versioning system, people will simply need
    to update to get the new version.

    Now, my problem occurs with references in Web Application Projects.
    I'm not sure which file I should send to our versioning system so that
    the reference will be set correctly for everybody in the Web
    Application Projects. Since there is now csproj in WebApplication, I'm
    unsure of where the referenc is kept. Would sending the .dll.refresh
    file to the versioning system keep the reference ok for everybody or
    is it done in another way?

    Thank you
    Simon Picard

    drop, Sep 26, 2007

  2. drop

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    reference is kept in the csproj file. E.g it is told that from which
    file/project reference is coming. For example

    reference to dll

    <Reference Include="nStuff.WebDevHelper.Server, Version=0.5.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fc0e3af5abcb6c4,
    processorArchitecture=MSIL">
    <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion>
    <HintPath>.\nStuff.WebDevHelper.Server.dll</HintPath>
    </Reference>

    reference to another project:

    <ItemGroup>
    <ProjectReference Include="..\MyScripts\MyScripts.csproj">
    <Project>{0EF0560C-01A0-4229-9CA0-45A7EB1D620B}</Project>
    <Name>MyScripts</Name>
    </ProjectReference>
    </ItemGroup>

    Of course, you would want to put the referenced dll itself also into version
    system so that when someone gets updated version, he/she also gets the
    updated reference dll.

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    AspInsider, ASP.NET MVP

    Teemu Keiski, Sep 26, 2007

  3. drop

    drop Guest

    Thanks for the tip Teepu but my problem is exactly the fact that I
    don't have a csproj file. I'm in a Web Application project which has
    no csproj file. I would be really happy if I had a csproj, it would be
    much easier.

    Simon Picard

    drop, Sep 26, 2007
  4. drop

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Web Application Project is officially the project model with project file.
    The other one without - which was default and only one in VS2005 for a
    while - is a web site project. :)

    Web Site Project is self-contained (no project files), so all you have on
    the site should be enough to keep it up-to-date. E.g including the
    referenced dll.

    Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/Aa336618.aspx

    Teemu Keiski, Sep 26, 2007