Do I *need* XP Pro to use VS.net/IIS?

darrel

(Sincere apologies for crossposting. I posted it in vs.net ide, but then
realized that group gets little to no traffic these days. I was hoping to
get some insight on this before the weekend.)

I do some VB.net development at work using Win2K and VS.net. This works
fine. Run IIS locally, compile via VB.net and test.

I'd like to do a bit of work at home now. I'm normally a mac guy at home, so
I ran out and got a new windows PC. I also have a copy of the VS.net-VB
program that MS was giving away this summer. The new machine came with XP
Home.

Do I need to upgrade to XP Pro and install ISS to make full use of this, or
are there alternatives? I'm OK upping to XP Pro if I have to, but I'm
honestly not going to be using this machine a whole lot, and the idea of
paying $150+ and spending 4 hours this weekend getting the machine upgraded
and everything installed isn't my favorite waste of time. ;o)

-Darrel

Scott M.

ASP.NET & Web Service projects require a web server for VS.NET to connect to
and build as well as run the files on. XP Home does not include IIS and IIS
isn't supported on XP Home, so you'll need XP Pro.

darrel

You need a web server to be able to use ASP.NET.
IIS is the best choice, but you can't use that on XP home edition.
So instead you could use the free Cassini web server:
http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=7&tabid=41

So, in terms of compiling/debugging and implementing codebhind, will using
Cassini with VS.net be any different than using ISS? If so, this looks like
a nice option. I really have no other reason to upgrade to XP Pro, so if I
don't have to, this would be nice!

-Darrel

cpnet

I think you can use the free Cassini WebServer instead of IIS if you want to
build ASP.NET projects http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=6&tabid=41.
I've never used this, so I don't know too much about it, other than it's
free and it will server ASP.NET pages.

If you're only doing WinForms stuff, then I don't think you need a
webserver.

darrel

You need a web server to be able to use ASP.NET.
Hmm...crap. This thread:

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=689411

Seems to indicate that Cassini has no integration with VS.net at all. And
that IIS is the only thing that truly integrates with VS.net.

Though, it does appear VS 2005 will fix all of this. Alas, I need something
for the weekend. :(

Looks like I'll be forking out a few hundred bucks for XP Pro...

-Darrel

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

For Windows 2003, the easiest is to use IIS, which means upgrading to Pro.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!