    written tutorial in general ?
    Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

    Many Thanks

    Linuxmank, Aug 5, 2009

  2. Linuxmank

    Stefan Ram Guest

    Linuxmank <> writes:
    >I am just curious to know, do programmers like video
    >tutorial or written tutorial in general ?

    Programmers enjoy on-topic posts, that is, posts
    regarding particular features of the programming
    language Java in comp.lang.java.programmer.

    Stefan Ram, Aug 5, 2009

  3. "Linuxmank" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Member,
    >
    > I am just curious to know, do programmers like video
    > tutorial or written tutorial in general ?
    > Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks

    Some programmmers enjoy sausage, others more like sex. Old and tired dogs
    may enjoy beer on their free time.

    Donkey Hottie, Aug 5, 2009
  4. Linuxmank

    Linuxmank Guest

    On Aug 5, 6:02 pm, -berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:
    > Linuxmank <> writes:
    > >I am just curious to know, do programmers like video
    > >tutorial or written tutorial in general ?

    >   Programmers enjoy on-topic posts, that is, posts
    >   regarding particular features of the programming
    >   language Java in comp.lang.java.programmer.

    Thanks for the comment Stefan. But post be can video or written
    right ? I am a programmer myself and enjoy both type of post but all I
    need is a general point of view because I am about to write a
    tutorial.
    What will be the use of the tutorial if my fellow programmer will not
    likely go for it due its nature.
    Hope that make sense.

    Many Thanks

    Linuxmank, Aug 5, 2009
  5. Linuxmank

    Linuxmank Guest

    On Aug 5, 6:16 pm, "Donkey Hottie" <> wrote:
    > "Linuxmank" <> wrote in message

    > > Dear Member,

    > > I am just curious to know, do programmers like video
    > > tutorial or written tutorial in general ?
    > > Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

    > > Many Thanks

    > Some programmmers enjoy sausage, others more like sex. Old and tired dogs
    > may enjoy beer on their free time.

    Thanks Donkey Hottie,

    you just made me laugh.

    Most of us programmers are busy people working on some kind of
    projects. Having a video tutorial can provide some quality time with
    learning as well but on the other hand reading tutorial can be fast
    all we can do is skim the main points of the post and move on.

    I am still confused because both seems good to me

    Thanks

    Linuxmank, Aug 5, 2009
  6. On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:18:22 -0700, Linuxmank wrote:

    > Dear Member,
    >
    > I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or written
    > tutorial in general ?
    > Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

    Straight answer: I much prefer written material because:

    1)the bandwidth of a talking head video or a powerpoint-type presentation
    is *much* lower than that of reading a text version of a tutorial at my
    own speed. As a result I'm wasting time watching a video when I could be
    reading it instead.

    2)well laid-out written text is much easier to use as reference material.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Aug 5, 2009
  7. Linuxmank

    Linuxmank Guest

    On Aug 5, 6:43 pm, Martin Gregorie <>
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:18:22 -0700, Linuxmank wrote:
    > > Dear Member,

    > > I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or written
    > > tutorial in general ?
    > > Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

    > Straight answer: I much prefer written material because:
    >
    > 1)the bandwidth of a talking head video or a powerpoint-type presentation
    >   is *much* lower than that of reading a text version of a tutorial at my
    >   own speed. As a result I'm wasting time watching a video when I could be
    >   reading it instead.
    >
    > 2)well laid-out written text is much easier to use as reference material.
    >
    > --
    > martin@   | Martin Gregorie
    > gregorie. | Essex, UK
    > org       |

    Many Thanks Martin,

    Thanks for taking time to respond

    Much Appreciated

    Linuxmank, Aug 5, 2009
  8. Linuxmank

    Linuxmank Guest

    On Aug 5, 6:50 pm, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > > On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:18:22 -0700, Linuxmank wrote:

    > >> Dear Member,

    > >> I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or written
    > >> tutorial in general ?
    > >> Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

    > > Straight answer: I much prefer written material because:

    > > 1)the bandwidth of a talking head video or a powerpoint-type presentation
    > >   is *much* lower than that of reading a text version of a tutorial at my
    > >   own speed. As a result I'm wasting time watching a video when I could be
    > >   reading it instead.

    > > 2)well laid-out written text is much easier to use as reference material.

    > And, amplifying both your points, it's much easier to skip
    > content that isn't relevant to the user in written material.
    >
    >    BugBear

    Thanks BugBear for responding.

    I reckon you have also responded on my other post on GUI group
    http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.lang.java.gui/browse_thread/thread/0ea4462d12625d92?hl=en#

    Though i am unable to see comment anymore.. Don't know what happened :
    (

    Linuxmank, Aug 5, 2009
  9. Linuxmank

    Wojtek Guest

    Martin Gregorie wrote :
    > On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:18:22 -0700, Linuxmank wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Member,
    >>
    >> I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or written
    >> tutorial in general ?
    >> Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.
    >>

    > Straight answer: I much prefer written material because:

    Sitting at my desk listening to a droning voice puts me to sleep.

    Most programming video tutorials are done by programmers. And we tend
    not to be very exciting (ok, ok, "ducks").

    You hear a bored voice and see a mouse cursor moving around:
    "And then you click here and this happenes, then you click there and
    that happens, and you see this result."

    Not sure how to liven this up, maybe a dance team in skimpy clothing
    illustrating actions? Some lithe young thing running around the screen
    mimicing a cursor?

    But please NO background music.

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Aug 5, 2009
  10. Linuxmank wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 6:16 pm, "Donkey Hottie" <> wrote:
    >> "Linuxmank" <> wrote in message

    >>> Dear Member,
    >>> I am just curious to know, do programmers like video
    >>> tutorial or written tutorial in general ?
    >>> Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.
    >>> Many Thanks

    >> Some programmmers enjoy sausage, others more like sex. Old and tired dogs
    >> may enjoy beer on their free time.

    > Thanks Donkey Hottie,
    >
    > you just made me laugh.
    >
    > Most of us programmers are busy people working on some kind of
    > projects. Having a video tutorial can provide some quality time with
    > learning as well

    Now who will be the first to link the topics of "sex" and "video
    tutorial" in a way that many here might find enlightening?

    Bill McCleary, Aug 5, 2009
  11. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Aug 5, 2009
  12. Linuxmank

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Linuxmank wrote:
    > I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or
    > written tutorial in general ?
    > Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

    Written.

    Video has a "Learn to sell snow on the north pole and
    sand in Sahara in 7 days" aura.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 5, 2009
  13. Linuxmank

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 05:18:22 -0700 (PDT), Linuxmank
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or
    >written tutorial in general ?
    >Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

    Written by far. The reason is searching. I can use google or other
    tools to find what I want. Video tutorials have no indexing. Usually
    I don't want the whole tutorial, or I am trying to find a tutorial on
    some specific point.

    A tutorial on how to build a cable or assemble something would be
    better on video.

    On my todo list is a student project to invent a transcribed video
    format with searching ability.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "Let us pray it is not so, or if it is, that it will not become widely known."
    ~ Wife of the Bishop of Exeter on hearing of Darwin's theory of the common descent of humans and apes.

    Roedy Green, Aug 5, 2009
  14. Linuxmank

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Linuxmank wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 6:16 pm, "Donkey Hottie" <> wrote:
    >> "Linuxmank" <> wrote in message

    >>> Dear Member,
    >>> I am just curious to know, do programmers like video
    >>> tutorial or written tutorial in general ?
    >>> Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.
    >>> Many Thanks

    >> Some programmmers enjoy sausage, others more like sex. Old and tired dogs
    >> may enjoy beer on their free time.

    > Thanks Donkey Hottie,
    >
    > you just made me laugh.
    >
    > Most of us programmers are busy people working on some kind of
    > projects. Having a video tutorial can provide some quality time with
    > learning as well but on the other hand reading tutorial can be fast
    > all we can do is skim the main points of the post and move on.
    >
    > I am still confused because both seems good to me
    >
    > Thanks

    A video tutorial is all but useless for non-novice programmers. The
    written word is far more efficient at imparting information. The most
    valuable learning tool a programmer can use is a complete example that
    can be played with, altered, and explained.

    Daniel Pitts, Aug 5, 2009
  15. Linuxmank wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 6:02 pm, -berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:
    >> Linuxmank <> writes:
    >>> I am just curious to know, do programmers like video
    >>> tutorial or written tutorial in general ?

    >> Programmers enjoy on-topic posts, that is, posts
    >> regarding particular features of the programming
    >> language Java in comp.lang.java.programmer.

    > Thanks for the comment Stefan. But post be can video or written
    > right ? I am a programmer myself and enjoy both type of post but all I
    > need is a general point of view because I am about to write a
    > tutorial.
    > What will be the use of the tutorial if my fellow programmer will not
    > likely go for it due its nature.
    > Hope that make sense.
    >
    > Many Thanks

    It sounds like a serious question, so I'll answer it seriously. I
    personally cannot stand video tutorials, not with respect to software
    development. If I want to get a better idea how to tie a fishing fly, or
    do a tuneup on an older style car, I can appreciate a video. But text
    with images is much more efficient at delivering information about
    software development than a video could ever be.

    I must confess: the whole concept of programming videos strikes me as so
    wrong that I've never watched one, and I doubt I ever will. :)

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Aug 6, 2009
  16. Wojtek wrote:
    > Martin Gregorie wrote :
    >> On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 05:18:22 -0700, Linuxmank wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear Member,
    >>>
    >>> I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or written
    >>> tutorial in general ?
    >>> Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Straight answer: I much prefer written material because:

    > Sitting at my desk listening to a droning voice puts me to sleep.
    >
    > Most programming video tutorials are done by programmers. And we tend
    > not to be very exciting (ok, ok, "ducks").
    >
    > You hear a bored voice and see a mouse cursor moving around:
    > "And then you click here and this happenes, then you click there and
    > that happens, and you see this result."
    >
    > Not sure how to liven this up, maybe a dance team in skimpy clothing
    > illustrating actions? Some lithe young thing running around the screen
    > mimicing a cursor?

    "Yes, there are three N's ... Spin again."

    Bill McCleary, Aug 6, 2009
  17. On Aug 6, 8:40 am, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:

    Most of this has been said before, so I am just here to
    'agree' with the views already expressed.

    > A video tutorial is all but useless for non-novice programmers.

    ++

    > ..The
    > written word is far more efficient at imparting information.  The most
    > valuable learning tool a programmer can use is a complete example that
    > can be played with, altered, and explained.

    My build files of the JWS API do that, and have become
    quite popular (in a very limited field).

    Now, to veer into a rant of my own..
    <rant>
    Who but 'script kiddies' could benefit from a video
    tutorial? About the only thing I could imagine was
    well explained in a video tutorial is (for example)
    using the Netbeans GUI Editor (which most experienced
    programmers would not bother using at all).

    But even then, I would want the textual (with a couple
    of pictures, where relevant) description.

    Even better is wrapping up the entire help/tutorial
    in JavaHelp, so the student can easily do searches
    within the documentation.
    </rant>

    OTOH to all this, I suspect video tutorials will
    become more popular (than they are now) over time.

    The 'younger people' have a less finely attuned sense
    of appreciating just how many bytes are involved in
    downloading a video. The popularity of streamed video
    & music, as well as the mostly wasted bandwidth of
    YouTube (wasted in the sense the content is not saved,
    just viewed & discarded) supports that most web surfers
    these days would not think twice about downloading N
    Meg of video, just to learn how to hard-boil an egg.

    There might also be a slight 'younger people prefer
    moving pictures' aspect to it, but I cannot see that
    applying too much to people who are actually capable
    of programming (as opposed to the myriads that might
    try).

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org // which will *never* supply videos tutorials

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 6, 2009
  18. Linuxmank

    sunny kapoor Guest

    On Aug 6, 1:25 pm, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > > A video tutorial is all but useless for non-novice programmers. The
    > > written word is far more efficient at imparting information.  The most
    > > valuable learning tool a programmer can use is a complete example that
    > > can be played with, altered, and explained.

    > Sadly, complete examples are often used without being understood,
    > which can be dangerous, especially to a subsequent maintainer :)
    >
    >    BugBear

    Guys,

    Thank you very Much for taking time and responding to my question.
    Seriously it was overwhelming.
    Guys in-order to thank you I have moved this question and answer(of-
    course) to my blog.
    Thanks you very much

    link of the blog is mentioned below.
    Please for further contribution do comment on the blog, it will also
    help blog's subscribers as well.

    Link to the blog : http://thegeekhead.blogspot.com/2009/08/video-tutorial-vs-written-tutorial-for.html

    Much Appreciated

    Many Thanks

    sunny kapoor, Aug 6, 2009
  19. Linuxmank

    sunny kapoor, Aug 6, 2009
  20. Linuxmank

    Linuxmank Guest

    On Aug 6, 3:20 pm, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > sunny kapoor wrote:
    > >> Sadly, complete examples are often used without being understood,
    > >> which can be dangerous, especially to a subsequent maintainer :)

    > >>    BugBear

    > > Guys,

    > > Thank you very Much for taking time and responding to my question.
    > > Seriously it was overwhelming.
    > > Guys in-order to thank you I have moved this question and answer(of-
    > > course) to my blog.
    > > Thanks you very much

    > You copied this thread to your blog without attribution to USENET.
    >
    > Do you think that's honest?
    >
    >    BugBear

    OPs ok i will do that now...btw Linuxmank = Sunny kapoor

    Linuxmank, Aug 6, 2009