Do u think this makes sense??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Developer.Man4@gmail.com, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    i've been investigating for quite a while for files that are mandatory
    to be deployed to the server for an asp.net v1.1 application to run, to
    make it more clear, we don't need to move the source code files, .vb
    and .cs we have their assemblies deployed on the server.
    i also wanted to find out if we can change default locations for some
    files that are by default store on the application main folder.
    i got the following results and want to make sure if it makes sense :D

    application files mandatory
    can change its default location
    (if its in the application it
    must be
    located on the server in the
    application
    main or sub folder)

    source code files no
    ------------------
    (. cs and .vb)

    web pages
    (.asp, .aspx, .html, .htm) yes
    no

    global.asax no
    no

    global.asax.cs no
    no

    web.config yes
    no

    user control pages no
    (.ascx)

    webserveices no
    no
    (.asmx)

    resources no
    yes
    (.res,.resx)

    extra files yes
    yes
    (.txt, .jpg,.jpg,....)

    web handlers no
    yes
    (.ashx)

    assemblies no
    yes
    (.dlls)

    NO OTHER FILES CAN BE FOUND ON THE SERVER

    i'm using IIS 6, visual studio 2003 and asp.net v1.1, these are a must,
    i.e. i can't use vs2005 or asp.net v2 :)

    i'm talking about big and complicated applications.

    thanx for ur quick advice :)

    , Dec 12, 2006

    Hi all,

    i've been investigating for quite a while for files that are mandatory
    to be deployed to the server for an asp.net v1.1 application to run, to
    make it more clear, we don't need to move the source code files, .vb
    and .cs we have their assemblies deployed on the server.
    i also wanted to find out if we can change default locations for some
    files that are by default store on the application main folder.
    i got the following results and want to make sure if it makes sense :D

    manadatory : (if its in the application it must be located on the
    server in the application main or sub folder)

    application files mandatory can change its default location

    source code files no --
    (. cs and .vb)

    web pages yes no
    (.asp, .aspx, .html, .htm)

    global.asax no no

    global.asax.cs no no

    web.config yes no

    user control pages no yes
    (.ascx)

    webserveices no no
    (.asmx)

    resources no yes
    (.res,.resx)

    extra files yes yes
    (.txt, .jpg,.jpg,....)

    web handlers no yes
    (.ashx)

    assemblies no yes
    (.dlls)

    NO OTHER FILES CAN BE FOUND ON THE SERVER

    i'm using IIS 6, visual studio 2003 and asp.net v1.1, these are a must,
    i.e. i can't use vs2005 or asp.net v2 :)

    thanx for ur quick advice :)

    , Dec 12, 2006

  3. You have two choices in 2.0.

    1. Deploy everything
    2. Publish the site and move the bits published to the server

    If you do not want to publish source, use #2.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 12, 2006

    i don't have the option for using 2.0, i can only work on 1.x

    what about other files

    , Dec 12, 2006