    problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will it just treat it like
    HTML?

    Thanks.
    John Salerno, Jan 26, 2006

  2. John Salerno wrote:
    > Something I'd like to do is make a few HTML pages to compile into a CHM
    > file, and I figured I'd write it in XHTML because 1. it's newer and
    > "better" :)

    Newer? Maybe. But how is it better?

    > problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will it just treat it like
    > HTML?

    Gee, I would imagine you could set up a simple test in about 2 minutes
    and find the answer yourself.
    Travis Newbury, Jan 26, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> Something I'd like to do is make a few HTML pages to compile into a CHM
    >> file, and I figured I'd write it in XHTML because 1. it's newer and
    >> "better" :)

    > Newer? Maybe. But how is it better?
    >
    >> problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will it just treat it like
    >> HTML?

    > Gee, I would imagine you could set up a simple test in about 2 minutes
    > and find the answer yourself.

    I'm not quite there yet.
    John Salerno, Jan 26, 2006
  4. John,

    > ... does anyone know of problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will
    > it just treat it like HTML?

    The HTML Help compiler doesn't like XML declarations such as <?xml
    version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, and it will display error messages
    whenever it encounters them -- the tag is reportedly "not a valid HTML
    tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character)". However, XHTML
    documents that contain these declarations will still display fine in
    the HTML Help viewer. I've not encountered any other problems in the
    3-4 years I've been compiling XHTML documents into .chm files.

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)
    Pete Lees [MVP], Jan 26, 2006
  5. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Pete Lees [MVP] wrote:
    > John,
    >
    >> ... does anyone know of problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will
    >> it just treat it like HTML?

    > The HTML Help compiler doesn't like XML declarations such as <?xml
    > version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, and it will display error messages
    > whenever it encounters them -- the tag is reportedly "not a valid HTML
    > tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character)". However, XHTML
    > documents that contain these declarations will still display fine in
    > the HTML Help viewer. I've not encountered any other problems in the
    > 3-4 years I've been compiling XHTML documents into .chm files.

    Thanks!
    John Salerno, Jan 26, 2006