does XHTML compile into CHM files?

John Salerno

Something I'd like to do is make a few HTML pages to compile into a CHM
file, and I figured I'd write it in XHTML because 1. it's newer and
"better" :) but also because since this won't be a real website
(although I suppose I could post the pages to my server as well), but
instead a collection of data, it seems write to use XHTML instead of
regular HTML. But before I go through the trouble, does anyone know of
problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will it just treat it like
HTML?

Thanks.

Travis Newbury

John said:
Something I'd like to do is make a few HTML pages to compile into a CHM
file, and I figured I'd write it in XHTML because 1. it's newer and
"better" :)

Newer? Maybe. But how is it better?
problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will it just treat it like
HTML?

Gee, I would imagine you could set up a simple test in about 2 minutes
and find the answer yourself.

John Salerno

Travis said:
Newer? Maybe. But how is it better?

Gee, I would imagine you could set up a simple test in about 2 minutes
and find the answer yourself.

I'm not quite there yet.

Pete Lees [MVP]

John,
... does anyone know of problems compiling XHTML into a CHM file, or will
it just treat it like HTML?

The HTML Help compiler doesn't like XML declarations such as <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, and it will display error messages
whenever it encounters them -- the tag is reportedly "not a valid HTML
tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character)". However, XHTML
documents that contain these declarations will still display fine in
the HTML Help viewer. I've not encountered any other problems in the
3-4 years I've been compiling XHTML documents into .chm files.

John Salerno

Pete said:
John,

The HTML Help compiler doesn't like XML declarations such as <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, and it will display error messages
whenever it encounters them -- the tag is reportedly "not a valid HTML
tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character)". However, XHTML
documents that contain these declarations will still display fine in
the HTML Help viewer. I've not encountered any other problems in the
3-4 years I've been compiling XHTML documents into .chm files.

Thanks!