Doing failover the cheap way

David Thielen

Hi;

We want to make sure our company website is available 24/7 regardless
of network outages. So we were thinking of taking the following
approach:

We have 2 identical servers. One in Colorado (where we are) and one in
California.

Both are our DNS server as well as our webserver. The DNS part on both
is identical for all names other than the web server (our MX,
intranet, etc). But for the web server - each system's DNS points to
itself and not the other box.

So when someone wants our website, their name resolution will ask for
a DNS server, will get one, will go to that machine, it will give it's
own IP address, and it will then get the web page.

But, if that machine is not reachable, then the initial DNS request
will fail and it will then go to the second DNS server, which will
then return it's IP address.

Will this work well in practice? Is it the best inexpensive approach
to make sure we are always up?

david@[email protected]
Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
me -- http://dave.thielen.com

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi David,

If my understanding is correct, your solution is to add a secondary DNS. If
a primary server is unavailable, a secondary server can provide some name
resolution in the zone until the primary server is available. However, the
data is synchronized in the primary server and the secondary server so I
don't think it can work in practice.

Currently there're three options that help to keep a site available 24/7.
Following article compares these three options:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/itsolutions/ecommerce/deploy/duwwsr
.mspx?mfr=true

If you decide to use Windows 2000 Advanced Server please refer to following
article for more details:

If you have further questions I suggest you ask in the Windows NT Server
newsgroup. It's a more proper place to ask such questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/newsgroups/serveros/winnt
.mspx?mfr=true

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
| From: David Thielen <[email protected]>
| Subject: Doing failover the cheap way
| Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:30:25 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi;
|
| We want to make sure our company website is available 24/7 regardless
| of network outages. So we were thinking of taking the following
| approach:
|
| We have 2 identical servers. One in Colorado (where we are) and one in
| California.
|
| Both are our DNS server as well as our webserver. The DNS part on both
| is identical for all names other than the web server (our MX,
| intranet, etc). But for the web server - each system's DNS points to
| itself and not the other box.
|
| So when someone wants our website, their name resolution will ask for
| a DNS server, will get one, will go to that machine, it will give it's
| own IP address, and it will then get the web page.
|
| But, if that machine is not reachable, then the initial DNS request
| will fail and it will then go to the second DNS server, which will
| then return it's IP address.
|
| Will this work well in practice? Is it the best inexpensive approach
| to make sure we are always up?
|
| david@[email protected]
| Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
| me -- http://dave.thielen.com
|
| Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

Allen Chen-MSFT

Hi David,
If my understanding is correct, your solution is to add a secondary DNS. If
a primary server is unavailable, a secondary server can provide some name
resolution in the zone until the primary server is available. However, the
data is synchronized in the primary server and the secondary server so I
don’t think it can work in practice.

Currently there’re three options help to keep a site available 24/7.
Following article compares these three options:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/itsolutions/ecommerce/deploy/duwwsr.mspx?mfr=true

If you decide to use Windows 2000 Advanced Server please refer to following
article for more details:

If you have further questions I suggest you ask in the Windows NT Server
newsgroup. It’s a more proper place to ask such questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/newsgroups/serveros/winnt.mspx?mfr=true

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

David Thielen

thank you very much.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:37:01 -0700, Allen Chen-MSFT <Allen