dotNet Version Query

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Baxter, May 23, 2007.

  1. David Baxter

    David Baxter Guest

    Hi all,

    Whenever I do an XP install, I tend to install all the dotnet stuff. I
    have the various redistributables so I don't need to rely on Widnwos Update.

    dotNet Framework v1
    dotNet SP1 for v1
    dotNet Framework v2
    dotNet Framework v3

    Aside from the ATi Catalyst Center and a couple of smaller apps, I don't
    think I use dotNet much. I certainly don't develop any applications. The
    only reason I install them all is because I like getting all the Windows
    Updates, and the various versions of dotNet are listed there.

    Question - do I need all the dotNet versions. Are they backwards
    compatible with each other, so I only need to install v3, and if so, why
    does WU list them all if I have the latest installed.

    Additional question - why does Windows Update show dotNet Framework v3
    as a download if I've already installed it from the redist. and restarted?

    Thanks!

    Dave
    --
    (remove spamblock or reply to group)
    David Baxter, May 23, 2007

  2. David Baxter

    darrel Guest

    > Question - do I need all the dotNet versions. Are they backwards
    > compatible with each other, so I only need to install v3, and if so, why
    > does WU list them all if I have the latest installed.

    1.1 and 2 run side-by-side. You'll need them both if you want to run 1.1 and
    2.0 applications.

    3.0 is really just an add-on to 2.0

    -Darrel
    darrel, May 31, 2007