Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 11)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ville Vainio, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Ville Vainio

    Ville Vainio Guest

    QOTW: "As revealed by PSU Research Paper 'UU788', the real reason is a side
    effect of the nanovirus encroaching into non-whitespace, as first proposed
    by 'UU355' and then earlier proven (twice, as it turned out) by 'UU6 9'.
    The only defence is t*^$Z:%Z* NO CARRIER" - Richie Hindle. He appears to have
    survived the... unfortunate incident.

    "What do I have to say to get into the QOTW?" - Dan Python, who finally
    realized that Dan Perl is not going to cut it as a name.

    Johannes Eble is looking for software te help replace Matlab with
    Python. Respondents recommend the combination of SciPy and IPython.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    Irmen de Jong is looking for a way to make an object temporarily
    read-only. Alex Martelli comes up with a clever,
    obvious-when-you-have-seen-it approach of changing the class of
    the live object.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1gl6bdp.rudxqrkoby1zN%

    Global interpreter lock of CPython and multi-CPU scalability are
    a recurrent theme in comp.lang.python. The current concern involves
    the upcoming availability and popularity of multicore CPUs.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=6db3f637.0410042045.2171ad5f40posting.google.com

    PySQLite, the python interface to the SQLite embedded relational
    database, hits 1.0.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    Carlos Ribeiro provides Erik Johnson a simple explanation of the
    mechanics behind class and function definitions - a simple matter
    that confuses many, especially people who think Python has such
    things as 'declarations'.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    Alex Martelli shows how we should use the plain objects returned by
    object() as sentinels.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=1glatop.p9hsopf3b9m4N%

    Robin Becker needs to determine whether an object is a sequence.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    Boo 0.4.3, the Python-like language for .NET/Mono CLR, is out.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

    Ville Vainio, Oct 11, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Ville Vainio <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    > Global interpreter lock of CPython and multi-CPU scalability are
    > a recurrent theme in comp.lang.python. The current concern involves
    > the upcoming availability and popularity of multicore CPUs.
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=6db3f637.0410042045.2171ad5f40posting.google.com

    .
    .
    .
    Something bad happened to that URL. Please try
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=759a4fd598d5cb51
    instead. My apologies for the annoyance of a broken link.

    Cameron Laird, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Greg Copeland, Oct 13, 2004