Drill down reports via a map (Mappoint?)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mrwoopey, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. mrwoopey

    mrwoopey Guest

    Hi,

    I need to be able to click onto a map and then drill down to a report.
    For example, could we have a map of the Chicagoland area with
    clickable areas (zip code) and when a user clicks on an area it would
    drill down to a list of stores (Crystal Reports) for that clicked
    area. Could Mappoint do this? If not is there something else you could
    recommend (Crystal Report's maps (8.5) is not very good)?

    Also, with our Action Pack Subscription (APS), we received MS MapPoint
    2002 Setup and MS MapPoint 2002 Run CDs. APS includes 10 licenses for
    MapPoint. Could we use these on our server or do we need the to call
    the web service (wsdl) for our web or stand alone app?

    Thanks,

    Phin
    mrwoopey, Jul 8, 2003

  2. You could use an image map, or fake it by splitting the map into several
    images.
    Here's more info:
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/cs_imap.html
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/fakemap.html

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, Jul 8, 2003

  3. mrwoopey

    Rowland Shaw Guest

    "mrwoopey" <> wrote...
    > I need to be able to click onto a map and then drill down to a report.
    > For example, could we have a map of the Chicagoland area with
    > clickable areas (zip code) and when a user clicks on an area it would
    > drill down to a list of stores (Crystal Reports) for that clicked
    > area. Could Mappoint do this? If not is there something else you could
    > recommend (Crystal Report's maps (8.5) is not very good)?

    One solution:
    Use the "save as web page" feature in MapPoint, with hyperlinks based on the
    territories.
    Use the parameterisation feature in Crystal Reports to go from this. (I've
    seen something similar done with a map driving a drill down into a Crystal
    Analysis Report) - passing parameters to the CR viewer may be a v9 thing, I
    forget -- check with Crystal help files or tech support...

    Licencing for this solution is simple. Each "designer" user consumes a
    MapPoint licence. Each designer may save up to 1,000 maps as webpages for
    general consumption. "End" users then do not require a licence, in my
    belief.
    Rowland Shaw, Jul 9, 2003