Drop-down combo box question?

DaKitty

I added a drop down menu (is it called combo box?) as a jump to a month
in a calendar.
example: http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm
Is this a good way to handle it?

I can't seem to be able to change the coloring or text style,
appearance of the box. I gather you may not be able to do much?

Would a a show/hide layer on ouseover kind of a thing be a better
solution? I'm not sure if I'm calling it right, and don't know how I'd
go about coding it.. Might be a good next trick to learn. I know with
layers and ordered lists you have more control over the appearance.

Oh and pleez, no comments on frames and the rest of the site, I
inhereted it... maybe someday I'll get time to change a bunch of
things.

I've been googling things about navigation, what people like, what is
useful and functional. The more I read, the more I'm not sure what
wouild be the best thing to do on a pretty complex website, needing
several levels of categories.
If anyone has interesting websites or other references you'd like to
share, I'd appreciate it.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I added a drop down menu (is it called combo box?)

as a jump to a month
in a calendar.
example: http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm

That box doesn't do anything for me - doesn't even drop down with the
list of options. It's completely disabled.

BTW: You might want to either get rid of the ASP stuff, or make it an
ASP page.
Is this a good way to handle it?

Not really (assuming you can actually use the select box). What happens
for those without Javascript? (Hint: not much)
I can't seem to be able to change the coloring or text style,
appearance of the box. I gather you may not be able to do much?

Browsers are generally pretty picky as to what they will allow you to do
to form elements. Understandably, since users need to be able to
recognise them as such.

DaKitty

Mark Parnell said:
That box doesn't do anything for me - doesn't even drop down with the
list of options. It's completely disabled.

BTW: You might want to either get rid of the ASP stuff, or make it an
ASP page.

Huh? Which ASP?
Not really (assuming you can actually use the select box). What happens
for those without Javascript? (Hint: not much)

That's for the layer based thing, right?
I almost always use a secondary text only navigation bar, jsut in case, at
the bottom of the page. Sometimes I like to use it too, if I'm at the bottom
of the page, and don't feel like scrolling up.
Browsers are generally pretty picky as to what they will allow you to do
to form elements. Understandably, since users need to be able to
recognise them as such.

So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns, and I
can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

rf

DaKitty
Huh? Which ASP?

So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns, and I
can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

Get a new client? :)

What about a row of numbers across the top of the screen just like you get
in google to list the "pages" of the results, or even the short names of the
month. I would prefer that to a select element any day.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <[email protected]> said:

[http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm]
Huh? Which ASP?

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

At the very top of the page, before the doctype.
I almost always use a secondary text only navigation bar, jsut in case, at
the bottom of the page. Sometimes I like to use it too, if I'm at the bottom
of the page, and don't feel like scrolling up.

Fair enough (though I would put it at the top, instead of/as well as the
bottom). In that situation, what you are probably best to do is to write
the select element on the page with Javascript as well (e.g.
document.write), so those without Javascript don't even see it.
Otherwise they may try and use it, and then wonder why it doesn't work.
So, when people I'm making the website for are in love with dropdowns, and I
can't talk them out if it, what do you suggest?

See above.

BTW: At certain narrow-ish window widths, the <select> goes over the
December 2004 link. And those links don't work without Javascript
either.

DaKitty

Mark Parnell said:
Previously in alt.html, DaKitty <[email protected]> said:

[http://mastersmvnswim.org/calendar/0305.htm]
Huh? Which ASP?

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

At the very top of the page, before the doctype.

Oh! thanks, I didn't know what that was.
I think it was a leftover from another experiment, but I didn't dare remove
it.
Fair enough (though I would put it at the top, instead of/as well as the
bottom). In that situation, what you are probably best to do is to write
the select element on the page with Javascript as well (e.g.
document.write), so those without Javascript don't even see it.
Otherwise they may try and use it, and then wonder why it doesn't work.

Good point! Thanks!
See above.

BTW: At certain narrow-ish window widths, the <select> goes over the
December 2004 link. And those links don't work without Javascript
either.

I see what you're saying about going over.
The december and feb. links point to nothing at the moment, on purpose.
Otherwise they're just plain text and hyperlink.
Wait, I'm not sure which ones don't work without javascript, the form combo
box?

(Sorry I'm asking all these basic questions)

DaKitty

rf said:
DaKitty

and

Get a new client? :)

Ha! This one is a freebie for my boyfriend. Don't think I can trade that one
in very easily!
Plus it's sort of my learning pet project.
What about a row of numbers across the top of the screen just like you get
in google to list the "pages" of the results, or even the short names of the
month. I would prefer that to a select element any day.

yea, I like it better when I can scan through what's available without
having to pick or mouse over it.
Plus, when you move the mouse off the menus most of them disappear in a
flash, so if you accidentally cut too much across, and don't stay on the
menu, it closes. That's sooooo annoying.

I have something similar to what you're talking about on the team records
page:
http://mastersmvnswim.org/19-24scm.htm
(I haven't gotten around any kind of an html cleanup on this page, so you'll
have to brace yourself, there's probably all kinds of junk in the code.)

But they see 'all the new and cool websites' have the dropdowns, so they
want the dropdowns.
He's been bugging me to make him some dropdowns for a year now.
I keep saying it's not a really good solution for navigation...
I'm thinking, I'll put them on there for a while, let him get that out of
his system. He'll get annoyed with them eventually! Then I can have my way
again. ;)

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
The december and feb. links point to nothing at the moment, on purpose.
Otherwise they're just plain text and hyperlink.

OK, np. Didn't actually try them with Javascript either. :)
Wait, I'm not sure which ones don't work without javascript, the form combo
box?

As I said in my original reply, the <select> box I can't do anything
with at all, either with or without Javascript - can't even make it drop
down to show me the options.

DaKitty

Mark Parnell said:
OK, np. Didn't actually try them with Javascript either. :)

As I said in my original reply, the <select> box I can't do anything
with at all, either with or without Javascript - can't even make it drop
down to show me the options.

I have no idea why that is?
Is it a browser issue?
Can you gimmie a hint, pleez?

rf

DaKitty said:
I have no idea why that is?
Is it a browser issue?
Can you gimmie a hint, pleez?

It is because of the way you have those "layers" organized.

The select element *does* work in IE, because IE uses a windows common
control for a select box. These always live in front of the canvas.

With firefox the select element does not work. It is probably behind the
calendar div (even though it is visible). Since it is behind something else
it never receives mouse events, or any other UI events for that matter.

Something else to consider: There is no form. What does the browser do with
form elements when they don't live inside a form?

Why all that positioning anyway? Oh, I see, dreamweaver. My commiserations
:)

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I have no idea why that is?
Is it a browser issue?
Can you gimmie a hint, pleez?

I have no idea either - probably to do with the positioning and z-index
you've applied to it. It works in IE, but not in Mozilla or Opera.

You need to validate your HTML (after removing the ASP stuff), but I
think it's the CSS which is the problem (though that validates). Don't
have time to sort through it right now, sorry.

DaKitty

rf said:
It is because of the way you have those "layers" organized.

The select element *does* work in IE, because IE uses a windows common
control for a select box. These always live in front of the canvas.

With firefox the select element does not work. It is probably behind the
calendar div (even though it is visible). Since it is behind something else
it never receives mouse events, or any other UI events for that matter.

Something else to consider: There is no form. What does the browser do with
form elements when they don't live inside a form?

Why all that positioning anyway? Oh, I see, dreamweaver. My commiserations
:)

oh, I see, once I removed the z-index it started working in firefox too.
I really had no good reason to have z-index there. I was trying something
before, and it got left in there.
I have the January page updated now. Off to do the rest....

DaKitty

Mark Parnell said:
I have no idea either - probably to do with the positioning and z-index
you've applied to it. It works in IE, but not in Mozilla or Opera.

You need to validate your HTML (after removing the ASP stuff), but I
think it's the CSS which is the problem (though that validates). Don't
have time to sort through it right now, sorry.

No problem.
Roger suggested the Z index, and once I removed it, it started working in
firefox as well.
Thank you both so much for your help :)

DaKitty

Mark Parnell said:
<whisper>That would be Richard.</whisper>

Uh Oh **blush** I'm sorry!
Still not working here, but I'll assume you just haven't uploaded it
yet.

Exactly!
Man, you're quick!
I just goit done uploading and checking it in IE and Firefox, looks like
it's working!
Oh, and I was able to change the look, at least the coloring of the box with
help of CSS

rf

DaKitty said:
No problem.
Roger suggested the Z index, and once I removed it, it started working in
firefox as well.

Thank you both so much for your help :)

NP.

BTW why does http://mastersmvnswim.org/Main.htm use frames? And why is there
a splash page in the way of your information? Just out of interest :)

Did you know that parts of the left nav bar get out of the frame at certain
font sizes? That's one of the bad things about frames, they cannot adjust to
the content size.

DaKitty

rf said:
<checks behind chair/>

I'm so sorry! I have a nother online froiend whose name is Roger, and he
always signs with Cheers, so when I see Cheers, my silly brain thinks Roger!
I know, goofy! Sometimes I forget my own name!
NP.

BTW why does http://mastersmvnswim.org/Main.htm use frames? And why is there
a splash page in the way of your information? Just out of interest :)

The original webmaster made it in frames, I inherited it that way, and
didn't have a chance (time) to change it all.
I really see no need for frames on this site.

I'd like to redo the whole thing with CSS :D
Do away with most of the tables.
Still, I have a bunch to learn though, before I'd dare to take it apart. The
site needs to keep functioning while I tinker with it, so it's little at a
time. There is a ton of cleanup I'd like to do on this site, actually, redo
it from scratch! I wish I had the time.

They LOVE the splash page. I lost the argument on that one. At least it's
pretty short and clickable! ... I know, I know :(
The shortcut enter links are also a consolation..
Did you know that parts of the left nav bar get out of the frame at certain
font sizes? That's one of the bad things about frames, they cannot adjust to
the content size.

Oh yeah, I've been noticing that.
Plus, it makes it tough to bookmark any individual pages.

I need to rethink the entire navigation system on this site... It's
relatively complex, and I'm still undecided what to do.
Also, that bar at the top... I keep seeing wasted realestate! I could place
some navigation there.
I'm still undecided, so any suggestions you guys have are welcome.

One of the pages has an experiment at dropdown menus:
http://mastersmvnswim.org/2005LOC.htm
I kind of like the way it functions, and was ablre to make somewhat lagical
organization of the menus, but it's javascript... so I suppose that's out.
I made that one with Sothink's menu maker... Now I can't access it any more,
I bought the darn thing, and they never sent me a registration #... emailed
them several times, no response :( I really liked the way it worked, and
it generated a hyperlinked site map based on your menu system.
Still, it's all Javascript.
So, at the moment, I'm not sure what to do abut navigation.
Oh, and do you know of any slick ways of making a site map?