    OR any suggestions
    Thanks
    Richard
    Richard R, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Richard R

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <ZItZc.17146$>,
    says...
    > Many browsers have JavaScript turned off now for security reasons (Microsoft
    > suggest this in their security bulletins unless you trust the site) but many
    > users are not sophisticated enough to realize this and when drop down menus
    > don't work they go elsewhere.
    > Can anyone help with samples of drop down menus that simply don't use
    > JavaScript.
    > OR any suggestions

    If you google "css drop down menu you will find several samples.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Richard R

    Vladdy Guest

    Richard R wrote:

    > Many browsers have JavaScript turned off now for security reasons (Microsoft
    > suggest this in their security bulletins unless you trust the site) but many
    > users are not sophisticated enough to realize this and when drop down menus
    > don't work they go elsewhere.
    > Can anyone help with samples of drop down menus that simply don't use
    > JavaScript.
    > OR any suggestions
    > Thanks
    > Richard

    The problem is that due to poor CSS support in IE, no pure CSS menu will
    work there. As far as real browsers go, here is my implementation:
    http://www.vladdy.net/Demos/CSSNav.html

    --
    Vladdy
    http://www.klproductions.com
    Vladdy, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Richard R

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Richard R wrote:

    > Can anyone help with samples of drop down menus that simply don't use
    > JavaScript.

    IE's cruddy CSS support makes this impossible (unless you want to ditch
    IE users).

    However, there are menus that use CSS mostly, but a tiny bit of JScript
    for IE. (And when JScript is disabled, the "top-level" links still work
    fine.) (And when CSS is disabled, you see the whole thing as a bullet list.)

    See the menu at http://devedge.netscape.com/

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Richard R

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Richard R" <> wrote in

    > Many browsers have JavaScript turned off now for security reasons
    > (Microsoft suggest this in their security bulletins unless you trust
    > the site) but many users are not sophisticated enough to realize this
    > and when drop down menus don't work they go elsewhere.
    > Can anyone help with samples of drop down menus that simply don't use
    > JavaScript.
    > OR any suggestions
    > Thanks
    > Richard

    I suggest ditching the drop-down menus altogether and using some other
    scheme for navigation. It is much simpler to go to a location by clicking
    once, rather than hovering, moving, and clicking. Also, users don't have
    to check each navigation category to find the link they are looking for, if
    the category the link will be in is rather vague (due to user confusion, or
    multiple plausible categories for a certain topic). The navigation menu
    can then be read completely.
    Sam Hughes, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Richard R

    Richard R Guest

    Thanks guys - good advice.
    RR
    Richard R, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Richard R wrote:
    > Many browsers have JavaScript turned off now for security reasons (Microsoft
    > suggest this in their security bulletins unless you trust the site) but many
    > users are not sophisticated enough to realize this and when drop down menus
    > don't work they go elsewhere.
    > Can anyone help with samples of drop down menus that simply don't use
    > JavaScript.
    > OR any suggestions
    > Thanks
    > Richard

    If you're not worried about your page validating, go check out this:

    http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/menus/dropdownfun.html
    Sentient Fluid, Sep 3, 2004
  8. Richard R

    Will Gittoes Guest

    Richard R wrote:
    > Many browsers have JavaScript turned off now for security reasons (Microsoft
    > suggest this in their security bulletins unless you trust the site) but many
    > users are not sophisticated enough to realize this and when drop down menus
    > don't work they go elsewhere.
    > Can anyone help with samples of drop down menus that simply don't use
    > JavaScript.
    > OR any suggestions
    > Thanks
    > Richard

    Pure CSS Menus

    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    Internet Explorer will see the top-level links.

    --
    Registered Linux User #364108. Get counted: http://counter.li.org
    '"Impossible" isn't French, but French is impossible!'
    Will Gittoes, Sep 4, 2004