Duplicate Session ID across multiple IE windows

Guest

I'm having a problem with Session ID being duplicated across multiple IE
windows.

I edited the web.config for my ASP.net web application to display trace
information on the page.

I open an IE window and navigate to the home page of my ASP.net app, and
note the Session ID that was assigned.

I then type CTRL-N to open a new IE window. The session ID displayed on the
page in my second IE window is identical to the session ID in the first.

This is causing a problem if I try to work alternately between the pages. I
have a page which dynamically loads user controls, and if the two windows try
to load different user controls, I get exceptions about the viewstate tree
structure not being the same. Also, I can have a problem with window 1
reading a record from the database, window 2 reading a different window, then
window 1 posting back and saving its data into the record read by window 2.

Is there a way to force IE to get a new Session ID when a window is opened
using CTRL-N?

Thanks,

Lucas Tam

I'm having a problem with Session ID being duplicated across multiple
IE windows.

Yes this is normal - IE shares sessions across windows.

I then type CTRL-N to open a new IE window. The session ID displayed
on the page in my second IE window is identical to the session ID in
the first.

This is normal.

This is causing a problem if I try to work alternately between the
pages. I have a page which dynamically loads user controls, and if the
two windows try to load different user controls, I get exceptions
about the viewstate tree structure not being the same. Also, I can
have a problem with window 1 reading a record from the database,
window 2 reading a different window, then window 1 posting back and
saving its data into the record read by window 2.

Is there a way to force IE to get a new Session ID when a window is
opened using CTRL-N?

Try launching a brand new session of IE instead of using CTRL-N.

If this doesn't work, you may have to use another browser (i.e.
Firefox).

Patrice

You may want to double check but it looks like you have some state server
side also ?

Could it cause this confusion. What triggers this is the record erasing one
problem ? How do you know which record should be saved ?

Patrice