Duplicating a project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Santi Serrano, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    Ok, I open Visual Studio .NET 2003. New C# ASP.NET Web Service project.
    Everything works fine. When I'm done I close Visual Studio, go to the web
    server home directory and make a copy of the folder of the existing project
    to other one named different because I want to make some changes without
    affecting the initial project. But what's my surprise that when I try to
    open the copied project all of errors appear. Why Microsoft didn't make
    asp.net projects independent of their location like you can do with html,
    asp or php pages?

    Trying to solve the problems...
    First I go to xxxx.csproj.webinfo and change the url to the new path. OK
    Then I set the .asmx file to the start page OK
    But now... visual studio says the project is not configured to be
    debugged... and in the project options debugging is enabled as well as in
    Web.config KO
    Anyway, I build the project OK
    Now I open it in the explorer and this error appear:
    ----------------
    in IIS.
    Source Error:
    Line 43: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile
    services for member sites.
    Line 44: -->
    Line 45: <authentication mode="Windows" />
    Line 46:
    Line 47: <!-- AUTHORIZATION
    -------------

    In the IIS manager I see that both the initial folder and the copied one
    have different properties but I cannot change them. They have different
    icons either (the copied is a common folder).

    is there an easier way to duplicate a project?

    Thanks.
    Santi.
    Santi Serrano, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Hi,

    Go to IIS Manager, right-click on the new folder and select Properties from
    the context menu.

    In the properties dialog, Home Directory tab click the "create" button. This
    will convert your Virtual Directory into an Application. Then you will be
    able to call the web service.

    On a side note, you could use a tool like Visual Source Safe to efficiently
    manage different versions of the same applications.

    Regards,
    Saurabh Nandu
    [ MVP | Author ]
    www.MasterCSharp.com