Dynamic SQL based Crystal Reports

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andrew, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hey all,

    Been working with the Crystal Report Viewer, and have run into a situation I
    am hoping someone can help me get past. This may be more of a CR question,
    but hoping for some CR gurus to stop by in here.

    Crystal's knowledgebase has made available a bunch of examples for both
    ASP.Net and VB.Net applications for download and review (I added the links
    at the end of this post). One of the examples is how to pass in a parameter
    to the form from the .aspx page so you can alter what is displayed. However,
    on closer inspection, you find that the form pulls across a huge set of
    records and merely filters out all records not in the group matching the
    parameter passed in.

    My snag is that I do not want to pull across a huge set of records, rather I
    would prefer to use a stored procedure on the SQL Server that accepts a
    parameter and returns only those records I want. The records are the same
    structure every time, just the content may be different. While the example
    shows how to pass in the parameter, I do not know how to set up the form to
    utilize not just a Stored Procedure, but rather one that requires a
    parameter.

    In short: Create an ASP.Net page that displays a Crystal Report whose data
    is determined by a parameter passed in to the report and used in a Stored
    Procedure tying it to a SQL Server.

    Has anyone in here run into this situation and can explain how to deal with
    it?

    -- Andrew

    Crystal Decisions Project Examples:
    VB .NET Web Sample Applications
    http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/FilesAndUpdates/vbnet_web_samples.exe.asp

    VB .NET Windows Sample Applications
    http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/FilesAndUpdates/vbnet_win_samples.exe.asp

    Andrew, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Andrew

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in

    > My snag is that I do not want to pull across a huge set of records,
    > rather I would prefer to use a stored procedure on the SQL Server that
    > accepts a parameter and returns only those records I want. The
    > records are the same structure every time, just the content may be
    > different. While the example shows how to pass in the parameter, I do
    > not know how to set up the form to utilize not just a Stored
    > Procedure, but rather one that requires a parameter.

    Here is what I do:

    1. Create an stored procedure

    2. Create an ADO.NET Recordset (Add New Item -> Dataset) in Visual
    Studios

    3. Create a new Report - referecing the ADO.NET report

    4. Fill the Dataset with the Report Data. Be sure to name the tables in
    the Dataset - CR needs the proper dataset table names to load the data
    properly.

    5. Bind the dataset to the report.

    BTW, you may want to use the System.reflection classes to create a
    dynamic loader - that is what I do an works very well.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Lucas Tam,

    Thanks for the response and suggestions. I will go see if I can get
    this to work...it sounds just like what I need to do. I smacked my forehead
    for not thinking of it myself. :)
    In the mean time -- and if you see this message -- if I could ask a
    couple quick questions....

    1) Do I have to use the GUI version (or "drag&drop" version) of the
    ADO.Net Dataset, or can I use one coded by hand to bind to? I ask this
    because I crerated a .Net DLL that handles all of my Dataset, DataReader, DB
    Connectivity, etc., stuff (cuts down on the rewriting of code time) and
    would like to use that if possible.

    2) I am not quite sure I follow your suggestion of using the
    System.Reflection classes. Are you saying to create a sub/function that
    sets up the Dataset per passed in info prior to binding the CRViewer upon
    page load? Or are you talking about something else? I figured to simply do
    the former: read in some data passed through ah HTML Form or URL Item, set
    up the Dataset's SQL statement from these, get the records, bind the report,
    and view the page. If you are suggesting an alternate method, I am always
    open to new ideas.

    The usage of the CRViewer is still very new to me, as well as still
    being fresh to .Net. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

    -- Andrew

    Andrew, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Andrew

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in

    > 1) Do I have to use the GUI version (or "drag&drop" version) of
    > the
    > ADO.Net Dataset, or can I use one coded by hand to bind to? I ask
    > this because I crerated a .Net DLL that handles all of my Dataset,
    > DataReader, DB Connectivity, etc., stuff (cuts down on the rewriting
    > of code time) and would like to use that if possible.

    You use the GUI version to generate a Dataset. This dataset will be
    referenced by Crystal Reports.

    You will still need fill the dataset tho.

    BTW, take a look at Microsoft's Data Building Blocks. Microsoft has
    already written a set of classes to handle typical ADO.NET operations.

    > 2) I am not quite sure I follow your suggestion of using the
    > System.Reflection classes. Are you saying to create a sub/function
    > that sets up the Dataset per passed in info prior to binding the
    > CRViewer upon page load? Or are you talking about something else? I
    > figured to simply do the former: read in some data passed through ah
    > HTML Form or URL Item, set up the Dataset's SQL statement from these,
    > get the records, bind the report, and view the page. If you are
    > suggesting an alternate method, I am always open to new ideas.

    I'm using the System.Reflection classes to dynamically instantiate the
    reports. I'm using the embedded version the reports - rather than
    instance of each rpeort by calling the report's respective classes.

    If this doesn't make sense to you, there are two ways of loading a CR
    report. Either off a disk or by calling a report's classname and
    instantiating it that way.

    Reading off a disk is good if you wish to edit your reports often.
    Instantiating a report via it's class name is good if you wish to embed
    the reports inside the DLL and not have the report files exposed to the
    outside world.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    > You use the GUI version to generate a Dataset. This dataset will be
    > referenced by Crystal Reports.
    >
    > You will still need fill the dataset tho.

    Got it. Built a quickie test page, and everything runnning smoothly.
    Thanks for the help on this one. Can't believe how quick and easy this
    was....waiting for something to go wrong. :)

    > BTW, take a look at Microsoft's Data Building Blocks. Microsoft has
    > already written a set of classes to handle typical ADO.NET operations.

    I will look into this, thanks for the heads up. :)

    > Instantiating a report via it's class name is good if you wish to embed
    > the reports inside the DLL and not have the report files exposed to the
    > outside world.

    Ahhh, was doing this already, just didn't follow the way you were referring
    to it. :)

    Again, thanks for your help, and I hope I can ask you questions in the
    future if I run into more snags.

    -- Andrew

    Andrew, Aug 16, 2004