dynamically embedding objects in html

krupa.p

Hi All,

I am a newbie in html coding. I am writing an application in C# for
Windows CE device. I need to navigate to a html page in my application.
I also need to embed flash movies in the html page dyamically. Is there
a way I can pass the name and path of the flash movie through the url?
Or any other way to achieve my goal?

Thanks,
Krupa

jojo

Hi All,

I am a newbie in html coding. I am writing an application in C# for
Windows CE device. I need to navigate to a html page in my application.
I also need to embed flash movies in the html page dyamically. Is there
a way I can pass the name and path of the flash movie through the url?
Or any other way to achieve my goal?

Thanks,
Krupa
I'm not sure if I got your question right, but if it was "How can I tell
the webpage which file to embed?" than I can help you:

www.somepage.com/somefile.htm?theUrlToLoad

The String behind the ? can be read by several script-languages, server-
and client-side.

krupa.p

Yes, that was what I was trying to ask. Could you give me some more
details on how to read the query string I pass in the url?

Say, my html page is "/Storage Card/Flash/GPSRanger.html", and the
flash movie I need to play is test.swf. Is the following correct?

/Storage Card/Flash/myHTML.html?movie=test.swf

In myHTML.html, I need to embed test.swf. Could you please give me a
sample code which decodes my query string and embeds the swf file I
sent?

Thanks,
Krupa

jojo

server- and client-side.

Yes, that was what I was trying to ask. Could you give me some more
details on how to read the query string I pass in the url?

Say, my html page is "/Storage Card/Flash/GPSRanger.html", and the
flash movie I need to play is test.swf. Is the following correct?

/Storage Card/Flash/myHTML.html?movie=test.swf

You have to type the URL as normal, just add ?test.swf:
www.somepage.com/Storage Card/Flash/myHTML.html?test.swf

Or do you want to view the HTML-Page offline? Than the URL would be
file:///C:/Path/to/site.htm?test.swf
In myHTML.html, I need to embed test.swf. Could you please give me a
sample code which decodes my query string and embeds the swf file I
sent?

If I should tell you how to read the query string I first have to know
if the site is loaded from the web or from your computer, because if you
load a local file you cannot use server-side scripts.

krupa.p

I am not using any web server. I am loading the html page locally from
my computer. Probably I need some Java scripting to be done, right?

jojo

I am not using any web server. I am loading the html page locally from
my computer. Probably I need some Java scripting to be done, right?
Right, you need.
How do you open the site? If just open the file (lick clicking), than I
do not no if you can use the query string. If it does not work try to
view the page by opening InternetExplorer with the URL as opening
parameter. You could test: try to open the file first the way you wanted
to do (/Storage Card/Flash/myHTML.html?test.swf) and if the Browser does
not view the query string in the address-bar it doesn't work. Quite
simple ;-)
I'm going to send you a script which use the query String to embed your
movie, but I'll need some time to write it.

krupa.p

Thanks Jojo! I plan to open the html page from my application. I have a
browser control embedded in my application. It works when I just pass
/Storage Card/Flash/GPSRanger.html as the url. In the html page I have
the following:

<object
classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0"
width="320"
height="240" id="GPSRanger"
align="top">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="GPSRanger.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<embed src="test.swf" loop="false" quality="high" scale="noscale"
salign="lt" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="320" height="240" name="GPSRanger"
align="top" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>

But I dont want to hard-code the src of the embedded object.

I am looking forward to your script.

jojo

BTW: your messages are hard to read cause you use the "text above,
fullquote below" quoting, which is very unpopular in the usenet...
Please read one of those "quoting FAQs",
www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html for example.
I corrected it in my last postings to increase readability, but I'm
tired of spending my time for correcting quotes, so please take care of
advise.

jojo

[...]

OK, my script is ready, but I havn't tried yet. If something doesn't
work just tell me and I try to fix it.

First replace the src="test.swf" in the embeded-tag by id="movie".
Than add following code into your HTML-head:

document.getElementById("movie").src=location.href.substr(location.href.lastIndexOf("?")+1)
</script>

I hope it works...

krupa.p

Thanks a lot Jojo. It worked perfectly when I placed the url in the
address bar and opened it :)

However, when I pass the url from my application to the browser it is
giving an unknown exception. I will try to debug it.

Thanks again for your help!

jojo

Thanks a lot Jojo. It worked perfectly when I placed the url in the
address bar and opened it :)

However, when I pass the url from my application to the browser it is
giving an unknown exception. I will try to debug it.

Thanks again for your help!
I had the problem too when the address-bar included only the filename
(C:\SomeDirectory\Somefile.htm?test.swf). Is that the case?
The URL has to look like this:
(file:///C:/SomeDirectory/Somefile.htm?test.swf)

krupa.p

No, that is not the case.

I think it has got something to do with the web browser control that I
have in my application (I am writing a c# app on compact framework 2.0
for a Windows CE device). It works perfectly on the Internet Explorer
on the computer.