easy updating

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Darren Ludlam, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    A few customers have asked if they can make changes to their websites, they
    would like to change images and legends without having to get in touch with
    me everytime. Is the easiest way just to set them up with a WYSIWYG html
    editor and give them a bit of a tutorial or is there a better way.

    This leads me onto another similar dilema I have a customer who organises
    events eg diner events, charity events etc. He needs a page on his website
    that he can put all his "forthcoming events", the date, a brief description
    and maybe a picture. This is something he needs to do himself as it may
    change daily and he can't afford to wait for me to be available. As I see
    it we have the following options :-

    1. Write an app that generates and uploads his "forthcoming events (FE)"
    page,

    2. We could do something with php that allows him to change his FE page from
    a "php webadmin" page,

    3. Do something using SSI or just set him up with a WYSIWYG html editor and
    teach him how to write a diary page.

    Would love to hear how you have tackled this problem in the past.

    Many thanks in advance

    Darren
    Darren Ludlam, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Darren Ludlam

    saz Guest

    In article <42221581$0$24982$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > A few customers have asked if they can make changes to their websites, they
    > would like to change images and legends without having to get in touch with
    > me everytime. Is the easiest way just to set them up with a WYSIWYG html
    > editor and give them a bit of a tutorial or is there a better way.
    >
    > This leads me onto another similar dilema I have a customer who organises
    > events eg diner events, charity events etc. He needs a page on his website
    > that he can put all his "forthcoming events", the date, a brief description
    > and maybe a picture. This is something he needs to do himself as it may
    > change daily and he can't afford to wait for me to be available. As I see
    > it we have the following options :-
    >
    > 1. Write an app that generates and uploads his "forthcoming events (FE)"
    > page,
    >
    > 2. We could do something with php that allows him to change his FE page from
    > a "php webadmin" page,
    >
    > 3. Do something using SSI or just set him up with a WYSIWYG html editor and
    > teach him how to write a diary page.
    >
    > Would love to hear how you have tackled this problem in the past.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Darren

    4 years ago when I was just starting out and needed the business, I had
    to stoop to learning FrontPage and gave a tutorial to my client, as this
    is what he wanted to use for his updates. After a few weeks of daily
    updates that he did himself, the site became unviewable in Netscape. He
    wanted me to fix the site N/C because I created a "defective" (his
    words) website. I refused, and have lost the customer.

    Do your customers a favor and set them up with a decent CMS, as I have
    done 4 times since then. Charge a fair price for your time, but explain
    that it will all be worth it in the long run.
    saz, Feb 27, 2005

  3. Darren Ludlam

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Darren Ludlam wrote:

    > A few customers have asked if they can make changes to their
    > websites, they would like to change images and legends without having
    > to get in touch with me everytime. Is the easiest way just to set
    > them up with a WYSIWYG html editor and give them a bit of a tutorial
    > or is there a better way.

    Try a combination of PHP and MySQL
    Basics:
    - A form with Title, Content and Picture
    - After submitting the form
    - the picture is uploaded (Use GD to change the picture properties)
    - title, content and name of the picture are stored in the MySQL table
    - The page is (re)created with PHP based on the contents of the table

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl
    Nico Schuyt, Feb 27, 2005
  4. "Darren Ludlam" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > A few customers have asked if they can make changes to their websites,
    > they would like to change images and legends without having to get in
    > touch with me everytime. Is the easiest way just to set them up with a
    > WYSIWYG html editor and give them a bit of a tutorial or is there a better
    > way.
    >
    > This leads me onto another similar dilema I have a customer who organises
    > events eg diner events, charity events etc. He needs a page on his
    > website that he can put all his "forthcoming events", the date, a brief
    > description and maybe a picture. This is something he needs to do himself
    > as it may change daily and he can't afford to wait for me to be available.
    > As I see it we have the following options :-

    <snip />

    Have you thought about installing a blog CMS like wordpress/movable
    type/textpattern on the site, it might be just what is needed.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Darren Ludlam

    Lois Guest

    "Phil Thompson" wrote:
    : Have you thought about installing a blog CMS like wordpress/movable
    : type/textpattern on the site, it might be just what is needed.

    The latest version of WordPress (1.5) has a feature that lets you
    make the whole page into blog-like content. See "Manage More Than
    Your Blog" at http://wordpress.org/development/2005/02/strayhorn/ .

    Lois
    Lois, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Darren Ludlam

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Darren Ludlam"
    <> wrote:

    >A few customers have asked if they can make changes to their websites,

    >Would love to hear how you have tackled this problem in the past.

    Anything small enough to not actually justify a dev budget can be
    emulated cheaply and easily by either phpBB, MovableType, or some
    similar pre-existing variety of either blog or BBS.

    Before you write a line of code, ask yourself if you're really the
    first person in the world to need this. When you realise you're not,
    ask if you're even the first in the still-huge number of people who
    write usable and open-sourced code which then gets published and known
    to Google.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 1, 2005