Eclipse Help trouble

dr. Hans van der Meer

I have downloaded from an Eclipse mirror the file
eclipse-SDK-3.0.1-macosx-carbon.tar.gz, put in the Applications
directory and started it up. It then comes up with an error message
about not being able to use Help:

Help cannot be displayed. The embedded application server could not
run help web application. Check the log for details.

and with an Exception Stack Trace:

org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException[0]:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger does not implement Log
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl
..java:532)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl
..java:272)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:414)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.<init>(Digester.java:346)
at
org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm.getDigester(MemoryRealm.java:278)
at org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm.start(MemoryRealm.java:348)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1173)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:363)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded.addEngine(Embedded.java:464)
at
org.eclipse.tomcat.internal.TomcatAppServer.start(TomcatAppServer.java:97
)
....and many more...

How is that possible? How can it be remedied? (I even have recent
versions of log4j and commons-logging in my standard (MacOSX)
Java-classpath /Library/Java/Extensions -- allthough removing them makes
no difference). Is it Macintosh specific or just something applying to
all Eclipse platforms?

Help is appreciated.
Running Mac OS X 10.3.5 with the latest Java142Update2.

Hans van der Meer

Jonck van der Kogel

How is that possible? How can it be remedied? (I even have recent
versions of log4j and commons-logging in my standard (MacOSX)
Java-classpath /Library/Java/Extensions -- allthough removing them makes
no difference). Is it Macintosh specific or just something applying to
all Eclipse platforms?

Help is appreciated.
Running Mac OS X 10.3.5 with the latest Java142Update2.

Though I don't know a cure, I thought that you might like to know that
I have exactly the same problem, on the same platform with the same
version of Java. So perhaps we need to alert Apple about this?

Kyriakos Kentzoglanakis

[...]

Had the same problem with eclipse on linux. I changed the custom browser
command in Preferences->Help and that did it.
Hope that helps

Jonck van der Kogel

Had the same problem with eclipse on linux. I changed the custom browser
command in Preferences->Help and that did it.
Hope that helps

Regretfully this changed nothing for me. Has anyone gotten Help to
work under OS X? If so, any pointers?

Thanks very much, Jonck