Eclipse Visula Editor

Ouabaine

Hello,

I have installed Eclipse on my machine, and I want a GUI editor. So I looked
on the web, and found Visual Editor. So I downloaded it, and unzipped the
files in the Eclipse directory. The files are correctly located in the
Eclipse/Feature and Eclipse/PLugins directory.
But when I run Eclipse, I cant find anything new. Now plugin no new menu
entry. No nothing.
Did I miss something? Is there something to do to enable the plugin?

Thanks.

Ed Webb

Ouabaine said:
Hello,

I have installed Eclipse on my machine, and I want a GUI editor. So I looked
on the web, and found Visual Editor. So I downloaded it, and unzipped the
files in the Eclipse directory. The files are correctly located in the
Eclipse/Feature and Eclipse/PLugins directory.
But when I run Eclipse, I cant find anything new. Now plugin no new menu
entry. No nothing.
Did I miss something? Is there something to do to enable the plugin?

Thanks.

Have you looked at your Eclipse version number and compared it with the
version of Eclipse on which the Visual Editor will run?

Ed!

Ouabaine

But when I run Eclipse, I cant find anything new. Now plugin no new menu
Have you looked at your Eclipse version number and compared it with the
version of Eclipse on which the Visual Editor will run?

The web site says that it needs V3.2 to run, and I'm using 3.3.

Ed Webb

The web site says that it needs V3.2 to run, and I'm using 3.3.

There is your problem. The Visual Editor team have not yet released a
version that will run on the 3.3 release.

Ed!

Wayne

Ed said:
There is your problem. The Visual Editor team have not yet released a
version that will run on the 3.3 release.

Ed!

That's not the problem. The visual editor has a bizarre startup
interface. I only once got it started, by accident, and I don't
remember what I did. I've never been able to start it since.
I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one!

If someone smarter than me knows how to bring up the VE, could
you post the steps? I'm sure its something like "open the file
in the normal editor; right-click the filename in the package
explorer; chose XYZ; click your heels together three times;
chant "there's no IDE like Eclipse..." over and over, ..."

-Wayne

Ouabaine

I have installed Eclipse on my machine, and I want a GUI editor. So I
looked on the web, and found Visual Editor. So I downloaded it, and
unzipped the files in the Eclipse directory. The files are correctly
located in the Eclipse/Feature and Eclipse/PLugins directory.
But when I run Eclipse, I cant find anything new. Now plugin no new menu
entry. No nothing.

OK I have installed Eclipse 3.2. I have unpacked the Visual Editor files in
the eclipse directory. And still nothing.
Can someone who has installed successfully Visual Editor tell me what I am
doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ramon F Herrera

Hello,

I have installed Eclipse on my machine, and I want a GUI editor. So I looked
on the web, and found Visual Editor. So I downloaded it, and unzipped the
files in the Eclipse directory. The files are correctly located in the
Eclipse/Feature and Eclipse/PLugins directory.
But when I run Eclipse, I cant find anything new. Now plugin no new menu
entry. No nothing.
Did I miss something? Is there something to do to enable the plugin?

Thanks.

I have tried all of them, for Eclipse and NetBeans' Matisse, and there
is nothing that even compares with this one:

http://www.windowbuilderpro.com/
http://www.instantiations.com/swt-designer/demos.html

I like free stuff as much as the next guy, but this is one of those
cases in which commercial beats OSS. Another point for capitalism.

-Ramon

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Ouabaine said:
OK I have installed Eclipse 3.2. I have unpacked the Visual Editor files in
the eclipse directory. And still nothing.
Can someone who has installed successfully Visual Editor tell me what I am
doing wrong?

I strongly recommend not download and unpack VE and dependencies
yourself.

Use the update manager in Eclipse.

Arne